super glide paint question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super glide paint question.

I'm in the process of restoring a 1917 FX Super Glide. I have two questions that I'm having trouble getting answered.
    1) Was the '71 super glide "Birch White" if so what is the paint code?
    2) Was the paint one or two stage, meaning were the decals clear coated after appling?

Thanks
    Terry

PS any other information about this bike would be greatly appreicated.
    AMCA #5486

Google Pierce color-write . John pierce has done a lot of research and has cataloged all the H-D colors. His phone # is 603-942-5610.

Comment

The factory used both birch white and and I believe alpine white. One was used the first part of the season and the other the later. At one time I knew wich was wich but I can't seem to remember now. Decals are not cleared over, they are a very heavy vinyl. White bikes all got the sparkling america with the red and blue decals, all other colors( sparkling red, blue , green,) got the same black decals with white stripe that the FL's got. Not sure what they did on the black bikes. While I'm not sure about the red\blue decals, most of the black ones did not have the AMF logo in them from the factory. My original paint sparkling blue tanks do not , a friends sparkling green does. I've heard that the factory sent out decals to the dealers with the logo on and they were to be replaced and most were not, don't know if that is true or not.
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
      X