Sportster HI pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster HI pipe

Some one was looking for one and i cant find the post ebay has one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...QQcmdZViewItem
    Jeff Bowles
    Arkansas
    Membership # 14023
    1957 Sportster

One of my club (Vintage Iron Riders) members has the correct, complete exhaust system in nearly new condition. He will not part with it, but might be willing to let an exhaust builder use it as a pattern for re-pops.

Is there any interest out there?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Originally posted by Coolbreeze View Post
      One of my club (Vintage Iron Riders) members has the correct, complete exhaust system in nearly new condition. He will not part with it, but might be willing to let an exhaust builder use it as a pattern for re-pops.

Is there any interest out there?
      If you want some made send the original to Aero Bending and tell them how many ya want.
      http://www.aerobendingco.com/
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks, Chris. I am keeping a file of pipe benders who will custom fabricate exhaust systems because sometimes that has to be done to complete a restoration.
        George Tinkham
        Springfield, IL
        www.virmc.com
        AMCA # 1494
        1941 Indian 841
        1948 Indian Chief
        1956 H-D KHK
        1960 CH
        1964 BMW R69S
        1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

If we are thinking of doing a group buy for high pipes, I'll take one. I have an original that could also be used for a pattern.

Comment

I might consider putting a high pipe on my '60 CH IF it caused it to perform better than it does with the drag pipes now on it. The drag pipes look a lot cooler than the high pipes, but there is something to be said about correctness.

Does anyone know if the 2 into 1 high pipe causes the bike to develop more -- or less -- power than the dual drag pipe exhaust?
            George Tinkham
            Springfield, IL
            www.virmc.com
            AMCA # 1494
            1941 Indian 841
            1948 Indian Chief
            1956 H-D KHK
            1960 CH
            1964 BMW R69S
            1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Drag pipes look cooler than a high pipe??? I must be really old!!
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I luv the look of drag pipes ! On any chopper or custom bobber. And... I am getting old. Not ancient like Chris... but still, getting old. I don't think they fair well on stock machines though. All have their own likes and dislikes though.

Comment

drag pipes?

the problems I had with drag pipes was keeping them attached to the engine,the vibration loosened the clamps constantly. tried several brands of clamps.
                  Ken S., # 6457
                  1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
                  1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Well, as a general rule, 2+1 systems perform better then not, and drag pipes without baffles, lolly pops or something to create back pressure lose low end power. Drag pipes are really made for wide open running on the strip, and are hard, but not impossible to tune for the street.

IMHO, the stock staggered duel setup optional on the 62 XLCH, standard on later years, is a great looking/sounding/performing system, and you can get all the pieces repop if you want.

That being said, my stroker project has a set of drag pipes on it now, and they do look really freaking good on there...

I took baffled drags and a bendix of my 62 XLCH(stock but with p cams) and put the high pipe and linkert DC-10 on it. This reduced throttle response, increased low end power, reduced top end power(due to smaller carb).

Comment

"the problems I had with drag pipes was keeping them attached to the engine,the vibration loosened the clamps constantly. tried several brands of clamps."

Try safety wiring the clamp bolts? Worked for me on staggered duals and threaded bronze clamps.

Comment

Working...
                      X