Mag kill for 1917 J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mag kill for 1917 J

Hello, I hope I'm following protocol by starting with a question. I did not see a intro page.
    My question is about the wire location for the kill switch on Magneto equipped J models from 1917. I have the wire and kill button, and some clips to hold wire to handlebars. I need to find clips for the larger tube that makes up the front down tube or seat post. Also I don't have any pictures that show if wire runs down front tube and near engine case, or past fuel tank and down seat post area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Bob

My 20 J doesn't have a kill button or ground button to the magneto. I was under the assumption that mag powered J's are stopped by retarding the left grip all the way which also opens the front exhaust valve. At least that's how I kill the motor on my J. I'll have to look at the parts book and see if a ground button was offered.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Another source of information might be
      http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/harleyjd/
      ...bill
      Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I've been looking at photos of J's from the teens and early 20's and I don't see a ground button on any of the mag fired models, except for racing bikes. Also, I looked in an original owners manual for instructions on how to stop the engine and it states to "turn the left, or spark grip to the left as far as it will turn. From this, I conclude that H-D did not offer a ground button to short out the magneto on road going motorcycles.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
        X