Enlarged Tail Pipe on Fours.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlarged Tail Pipe on Fours.

The 1929 401 and 402 had a 1-1/4 inch tail pipe. By 1930, the pipe size was enlarged to 1-1/2 inch. I have been considering to go to 1-1.2 inch on my 1929 402 as well in an effort to move heat away as much as possible. Even reduce back pressure if that helps. Indian Engineers found they needed to go to this larger pipe by 1930 on thier 402's and I wonder if its a good idea for these earlier 1929's. Any ideas? Has anyone else went for this size with good success? The exhaust ports on 29's are smaller of course than the 30's. but it still should help I be thinking, your ideas please.. thanks..Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435

Dead Beat Topic, Why did I ever ask.?

Nobody Home. Is this topic too Hi tech for you four cylinder gurus??? Bigger exhaust not better? er Wut??...Indian seemed to think so in late 29...Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Partsnut, sometimes people are not here all the time,give it a little time! Someone will answer your question Im sure ! If not so be it look else where, Remember you attract more bees with honey!! Good luck with your quest !!!!

Comment

Thanks inline, well said. I know from my experience, Indian Four stuff is very slow, close to dead beat in my experience over the years. I was only hoping finally I'd get some one willing to help move me along a little quicker. My Four took ten years to get it running and rideable finally this last New Years..But, It was all worth it, although a small bike but fun to ride......Joe
        Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Joe there is nothing more I enjoy than taking one of my fours for a ride! sure to put a smile on your face every time !!! Mine are later models otherwise Id weight in on the exhust change!

Comment

Originally posted by INLINE4NUT View Post
            Joe there is nothing more I enjoy than taking one of my fours for a ride! sure to put a smile on your face every time !!! Mine are later models otherwise Id weight in on the exhust change!
            DITTO.......

to me there is nothing like riding a late model Four.
            CHIEFJ48
            MEMBER #2786

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD.

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

Going to 1-1/2" Exhaust from !-14"

Re:- my question on the enlarged exhaust that I would like to go to. I was able to come across an Indian Bulletin # 388, dated May 1st 1929 showing 14 new changes to the 1929 402. Last item # 14 is the enlarged exhaust pipe. Since my machine was delivered June 3 of 1929 to the Vancouver City Police Dept, B.C. that would most likely include my 402 that no judge would have the grounds to dispute. I am very pleased to have come across the bulletin and will serve to satisfy my changover and hopefully some one else can take advantage of it if they so desire. I will let you know how the newer larger pipe performs. cant wait to get er snorton and roarin buisnes like down the highway...Hope the info is helpfull to others. .Joe
              Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Late 1929 Tail Pipe

Hi.My late 29 model 402 has a 1.5" tailpipe.I'm not sure when it was delivered, but has the EA..... prefix in the serial number which indicates it is after mid 29 but not a 1930 model year. Mid 29 is double down tube frame,not single like 28 and early 29, and a 5 main lower end. These seem to be the major changes. I would love to see the 14 change info you have. Rigb.

Comment

4our exhaust

dunno about your situation personally. I've yet to get my baby 4our up & running. But with the '42 4our engine I ran, and my current '37; I run straight exhaust with no muffler. Electrical conduit was & is my tail pipe (I'm an electrician......errr. WAS. out of work now...)
                  So, my non-restrictive exhaust has never caused any overheating. Performance has been grand, and the noise level is barely above a mad swarm of hornets. In this case, I think bigger is actually better. Adjust your carb accordingly though.
                  May the 4s be with you, RF.

Comment

14 Changes to the Indian 4

Here is the bulletin on the 14 changes. The attached letter of anouncement is dated May 1st. 1929...Joe
                    Attached Files
                    Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Rigb:- My info has it that some early and last of the three bearing models started using the twin down tube frame dubbed 402.
                      March 1929 ser no 101 and on got the five main bearing featrure with twin down tube frame.
                      May 1st was the announcement list totaling the 14 changes in my earlier message. The announcement letter is included here.
                      Aug of 29 came the drop centre rims. (that may date your 29).My 29 would be built in the spring of 29 haveing a low 100 sn. of aprox 5-600 built in that year.
                      Rigb, is your ser no in the 4-5 or 600 area? Dont need your exact ser no. of course.
                      Another change was to Timkin bearings in the rear hub, I think close to Aug with the drop centre rims, need to look that one up one day...Hope this helps .....Joe
                      Attached Files
                      Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Working...
                      X