popes O.H.V.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popes O.H.V.

me and a few friends finally got together and are going to make a few short coupled frames for ohv popes.as well as forks.seems to be a few engines out there.there will probably be 2 extra frames and forks available.if anyone has an OHV single or twin engine let me know.or any spare parts.i got alot of extra pope goodies to trade.
    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

factory pope

Comment

mr popes last stand

Comment

privateer

Comment

resto pope

this is a nice bike,though restos dont really do it for me anymore.although i have heard from R.L. and a few others that this is a true race engine. lonnie

Comment

Cool pics! And cool parts. I've always wondered if the Pope over-head valve motors were influenced by Perry Mack and his motors? These Pope motor's top ends look very similar to Mack's Waverley motors. Do you or anyone else know who designed them or if there are blueprints still around? I know the Lake motor(circa 1919/20) is an exact copy of Mack's Mack motor so I assume there might have been other copies.

Thanks

Dick Werner

Comment

Great to have you back Jurassic. You were very much missed.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

ohv's

hey eric,glad to see you still at it too.i have been wondering about you and your merkel.whats the status? i ask cause santa just scored me a 12 rolling chassis. i got a single lower end but no cylinder. dick ,there are definatly alot of things similar about the jefferson and the pope head.i'll try and get a side by side shot of the 2 heads tomorrow.

Comment

dont be a dope , ride a pope

Comment

jefferson vs. pope

Comment

Thank you. That answers some questions I had.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                        Great to have you back Jurassic. You were very much missed.
                        Ditto!!! I really missed the great pics of the early stuff!!! Good to see you back!!!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Oh, and anyone that's into these machines should have a look at Dale's unrestored machine!!! It's awesome!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFmVTUT8GiU
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

ohv

so dick,what do you think? i think perry was a mechanical genius,and mr. pope was a shrewd business man who saw a great idea.

Comment

I agree completely. To think he designed these motors when he was still in his 20's/early 30's is pretty amazing considering he never had any formal education. I see your motor has
                              the "buttons" installed in the heads to prevent the valve's from falling into the motor when
                              they broke. That was the achilles heel for these motors. Too bad they didn't have the metallurgy we have now. You just have to wonder what happened when those buttons turned red hot. Would the motor would start dieselling? Another knockoff of Mack's design had to be the motor used in the 1915 "Saginaw" Cyclecar made by the Valley Boat & Engine Company of Saginaw, Mi. Their brochure shows rows of finnished v-twin motors laying on the foor and stacks of cases waiting to be machined. Where is all this stuff now?

Dick Werner

Comment

Working...
                              X