Big Valve Power Plus info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Valve Power Plus info.

What years were the power plus big valve engines produced? and what was the cubic inch.displacement? What was the cubic inch of the standard power plus engine.

I have checked a couple of sources and have yet to find the answer. Thanks for any help.
    Rod

Just talked to Chuck Vernon, he has a couple big valves - he said - 17 and 18 they did atleast one experamental big valve. Said Indian produced them from 1920 - 1927, mainly as specials - ie - for racing and side car work. Big valves came in 61 cu inch, 72 cu inch and even 74 cu inches. Chuck is 86 now but he really knows this stuff, so I would guess its pretty accurate. My friend has a big valve his is 72 cu inches, just passing what Chuck told me as I knew he has a couple. I 've got a power plus engine under my bench in the garage, hopefully some day :-)

Comment

Years ago Bob McLeod, Tracy, CA, had a '15? Indian prototype engine that had a Pope top end on it. The story was an Indian engineer jumped ship to Pope and when Indian lured him back he brough the Pope top end plans with him. The prototype engine was on display at the 1915 Pan-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco when it dissapeared. Half a century later Bob found it and built the complete motocycle from it.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Power Plus Info

Thanks guys, I also borrowed a copy of Harry Sucher's book Iron redskin, and checked in it
        today and it confirns your information. I have a 1921 big valve, now I'll have to figure out what size it is.....thanks Rod

Comment

If I remember right you can stick a piece of wire down the spark plug hole and measure the distance it travels and figure out your engines stroke and that will give you the cu inches. Chuck Vernon showed Hobo John and I how to do it on his big valve. I dont remember the details though, I will have to check with Chuck. Speaking of Harry Sucher, Hobo and I just went and saw him. His health is failing for sure, he has had lots of problems. In a home now - but still mighty sharp, we were both impressed. Not to bad for being around since 1915 ! His book got me into Indians, read it while on patrol in the Bearing sea :-) Good luck with your big valve.

Comment

My 22 Standard is a Big Valve, 1000cc.
            Just trying to source new valves, guides and springs as we type.

Best wishes all.

Ken.
            Ken Kemp
            Nth Queensland
            AUSTRALIA
            Member # 8756

47 Chief
            2006 BMW K1200S
            Getting seriously interested in Vincent
            2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
            SYM 125 Scooter

Comment

Working...
            X