Shifter Pawls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter Pawls

Hi guys, I’ve been having some shifter problems lately with the 56pan and need a bit of advise.
    I got time to take the ratchet top apart last night and was glad to find one of the shifter pawl springs in bad condition.(stretched and twisted). After closer examination, I noticed that the hole that the left shifter pawl works in is missing its roll pin which runs in the key of the shifter pawl to keep it from rotating around in the hole. The strange thing is that even if the roll pin was in there the orientation of the key slot in that shifter pawl would make the pawl install 90 degrees off. I’m guessing someone removed the roll pin so that they could use that shifter pawl.

Anyone got any good exploded view of the two shifter pawls, which show the orientation of the key slots? (It may help me figure out what I got here.)

Anyone ever put one together with out using the roll pin? (This had lots of miles before having a problem.)

Notice the location of the key in this shifter pawl. It needs to be 90 degrees from where it is. The reason it fits in is because the roll dowel has been removed from this hole. -Steve
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ohio-Rider; 07-25-2008, 12:20 PM. Reason: Add photo
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

52-early 75 had left and right side pawls. Later models used the same pawl for each side and put the roll pin on the outer edge of the pawl carrier. The pawl you show in the photo is the late style.
    Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
    Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

That explains that. Thanks.
      I'll get me another "left" shifter pawl and remove & rework the roll pin left in the hole and I'll be all set.

Sure can make one wonder about why the last guy didn't/couldn't do it right the first time. Oh... The storys this machine could tell. -Steve
      ------------
      Steve
      AMCA #7300

Comment

Working...
      X