ceramic coating on pistons / inside cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceramic coating on pistons / inside cylinders

I recall reading about a company that will coat pistons and cylinder walls, but I do not recall where I read it. When one of my flatheads need a larger size piston, I would consider coating the old piston and truing the cylinder instead of boring and installing oversized pistons.

Has anyone on the forum had experience with doing this?

Can anyone recommend a good person to do this work?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

12 or 15 years ago we had some pistons coated with moly-phos, is this what you are refering too? If I remember right the build up was only a thou or two. it was to provide cooler break-in and improved service life. didn't see enough extra life to make it worth while. Don't think it was ever meant to substitute for boring over size or re-sleeving.
    Brian
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Internal engine part coatings

Dear Coolbreeze;

First you will get no shortage of opinions and preferences on this topic. These coatings were all available in years past and were tested predominately by racers. Earlier coatings had occurances of not adhering to surfaces so you will find mechanics and restoration professionals who are less than excited with aftermarket coatings.

A year ago I had my original paint 59 DuoGlide rebuilt mechanically front to back by Mike Javernik, Canon City Colorado. I chose Mike to handle the rebuild for two reasons. #1 - I have ridden with him over the years and he consistantly has top running motors. #2 -Mike rides to most AMCA events from Colorado on his Flatheads, Knucks and Pans. It's tough to keep up with him. His machines run dependably 70+ mph all day long.

Mike teflon coated my piston sides, ceramic coated the piston tops and heads inside the combustion chamber, flowed and polished my heads etc.... My 59 Pan runs very quiet, heat is dissipated faster, thus a cooler running motor. My Panhead will run along side my 95 Road King all day long now. These old motors will perform if they can breath and exhale better than original. Old iron can benefit from modern technology especially if the workmanship is done meticulously. Give Mike a call and make your own decision. You may reach him at:

Mike Javernik
      Canon City Colorado
      719-429-5620

For those of you who perform your own rebuilds, Mike and his guys are very well respected for their head work. Got some heads with serious issues...send them to Mike for rebuild.

Sincerely;
      Steve Klein
      The Klein Collection
      steve@steveklein.com
      Steve Klein
      Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
      American Pre-teens - 1965
      AMCA Member 12176
      Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
      www.CherokeeAMCA.org
      Steve@SteveKlein.com
      Georgetown, TX USA