Value : 1919 Henderson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value : 1919 Henderson

My grandfather, after over 50 years, has decided to sell his 1919 Henderson. While in the service, he disassembled the bike to ship overseas and it has been in peices since. I am currenly on vacation visiting them and have removed everything from their attic ( where it has rested for the last 12+years) and took some pics.

We have had several individuals, over the past 10 years, that my grandfather has been kicking the idea of selling it keep in touch and make several offers. My father and I (both motorcycle riders) would like to see it go to a good home and ensure my grandfather, getting up there in years, gets a fair price.

I am a HUGE gearhead ( Mustangs) but know so little about this motorcycle. My grandfather has several books and stories that I've heard for years.

Here is a link to pictures.

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...9%20Henderson/

Any feedback or info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Will Cox
    saleen09(at)hotmail.com

That's a beautiful bike Will. I have a 1919 Henderson as well. Mine is a 2Z which was the last of the Detroit manufactured Hens but assembled in Chicago. Ignatz Schwinn bought the assets of the Henderson company from the Henderson Brothers in the later part of 1917. Henderson was just starting to build 1918 model G Hens at that time and they were still painted blue. When Schwinn got everything hauled into his Chicago factory he began changing and adding things to make the Henderson look like an Excelsior/Schwinn product. Also, he was able to get out of paying royalties to the Henderson Brothers by increasing the amount of Excelsior content used on the Henderson. Most 1918's and all 1919 Hendersons are drab green with a brown border on the tank and toolbox and black pinstriping on the frame and fenders.

You really ought to talk your grandfather into giving to you. It's not that difficult of a restoration and you have most everything you need from what I can see in the pictures. Keep it in the family.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I have always been a FOUR nut thus my nickname! Will you should be the one to BUY it and put it back together! What a story! I would give both my nuts to have an MC my Grandfather or Father owned !I had an original paint 24 deluxe that was sold sometime ago and Ive always kicked myself for seling it! so keep it enjoy it !!!! Honor your family by bringing it back to life,if not E-Mail me maybe we can get together ! dollarbill@fairpoint.net
      Last edited by INLINE4NUT; 07-14-2008, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I agree with eric and inline! If you have any interest in motorcycles or at the very least keeping a part of your family history, that bike would make a great heirloom! Nice project!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

I would agree and add, if you dont have the book Golden age of the fours - get it and read the chapther on Henderson. All the books I have read say Henderson's were one of the best machines ever produced in the USA ! Yours looks mighty complete, many folks would only be able to dream of finding such a complete machine. If you folks are into motorcycles and your a gearhead, that would sure make me think about it anyway.
          You and your Dad could take it on together, how cool would that be and keep it in the family. People will line up to buy it and I bet pay more than you would imagine for it. But once its gone, theres no going back and you just try to find another as complete. Many many of us have had to look for parts for years and write and look all over the world for parts, yours is all but complete. Give some real thought to keeping it, if you have any interest at all. I had a friend who was going to sell his 26 Chief, a really nice machine and good runner. I told him dont do it and that it would cost far more to replace years later. He has thanked me for that advise many times and he still has his Chief. Check out an antique motorcycle run some time, or ask around. Might be someone near you, if you got to see a running Henderson, hear it running - might put a spark of interest in you. Which ever way you go, best of luck with it.

Comment

Working...
          X