40 Jiffy Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 Jiffy Stand

My first post - On the side stand my 440 with 18" wheels leans over 30 degrees usually resulting in gas leaking from the carb. The side stand appears stock. I haven't tried it since I replaced the float. What's the fix besides the 2X4 block I carry? Is 30 degrees normal? Thanks

Howdy Kirk,

First off, lean angle shouldn't contribute to fuel overflow, they can leak sitting vertically on the center stand with a (too) heavy copper float and/or bad needle and valve. Fitting a Cotten Durable float, drawing that float as far out on the lever for more leverage and setting float height slightly lower will cure leaks at nearly any angle.

No, a severe lean is not normal even with 18's, and Michael Breeding makes a long stand for these, which I have on mine. Your side stand, unlike the easily adjusted post wars, can be adjusted by shimming slightly to reduce the lean angle if the requisite washer and spring are currently in place (if not in place, this will cause severe lean, you can get this kit from Jerry Greer Engineering). Place another washer(s) under the bolt head ensuring that the side stand leg still nests inside the small channel that stakes it in the down position, preventing it from folding back if the machine were to roll forward on the stand.

Now, word of caution on that side stand bolt, it is secured in that blind hole by a role pin in a small tunnel within the side stand boss on the frame. It is parallel to the lower frame rail. If it's missing, it's likely your bolt has shuffled/partially backed out (thus leading to that lean angle) and you are at risk of stripping the soft threads in that boss. If the damage has already been done, it'll require pulling the motor to build up/tap back the threads or weld in an insert. As a stop gap measure - hey, it's riding season, who wants to take their machine down now - you can use a nail to pin the bolt in the hole as the roll pin is not robust enough to keep from shearing.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by PRG; 06-08-2008, 11:00 AM.
    Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
      Howdy Kirk,

First off, lean angle shouldn't contribute to fuel overflow, they can leak sitting vertically on the center stand with a (too) heavy copper float and/or bad needle and valve. Fitting a Cotten Durable float, drawing that float as far out on the lever for more leverage and setting float height slightly lower will cure leaks at nearly any angle.

No, a severe lean is not normal even with 18's, and Michael Breeding makes a long stand for these, which I have on mine. Your side stand, unlike the easily adjusted post wars, can be adjusted by shimming slightly to reduce the lean angle if the requisite washer and spring are currently in place (if not in place, this will cause severe lean, you can get this kit from Jerry Greer Engineering). Place another washer(s) under the bolt head ensuring that the side stand leg still nests inside the small channel that stakes it in the down position, preventing it from folding back if the machine were to roll forward on the stand.

Now, word of caution on that side stand bolt, it is secured in that blind hole by a role pin in a small tunnel within the side stand boss on the frame. It is parallel to the lower frame rail. If it's missing, it's likely your bolt has shuffled/partially backed out (thus leading to that lean angle) and you are at risk of stripping the soft threads in that boss. If the damage has already been done, it'll require pulling the motor to build up/tap back the threads or weld in an insert. As a stop gap measure - hey, it's riding season, who wants to take their machine down now - you can use a nail to pin the bolt in the hole as the roll pin is not robust enough to keep from shearing.

Good Luck.
      Hi Peter, Thanks for the reply and the tips. I previously emailed Mike Breeding and he suggested welding on an extension but didn't offer me a replacement at the time. I don't really want to weld on the original stand, I'll have to find a longer one or one I can weld on. I'll try shimming the stand first. I'll also extend the Cotten float out (I remember centering it) and lower the float level a little.

Comment

Working...
      X