Clutch Release Arm/Lever & Primary Rubbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Release Arm/Lever & Primary Rubbing

I have a 1940 EL, with the narrow primary, but my clutch release lever/arm is the one piece 1941+ version (not the correct arm/lever with the welded on tip). My question is around whether the correct lever is actaully longer to prevent the clutch linkage rod from rubbin on my primary. It seems that I see a ton of OHVs with the same issue, but other than the clutch release arm, I cannot determine why the linkage rod is rubbing the primary. Might it also have something to do with the clutch rocker pedeal design (dog-leg, vs. straight)? I have the correct rocker pedal and brace, but have not yet installed it. Thanks. Vic
    Vic Ephrem
    AMCA #2590

Is it possible the release lever sits too low on the trans? If the shims/washers are left out on the pin, it sits lower in the cover than it should.
    VPH-D

Comment

Thanks, VPH-D ... I'll check, but i don't believe the issue is a "height" issue, but an issue of the arm not exending far enough left to allow the linkage/connection rod to clear the side (front "lobe" covering the engine sprocket) of the primary, right next to the heel of the foot clutch pedal. Again, wondering if anyone knows if the correct 1936 - 40 arm is a little longer due to the welded or brazed "extension". Thanks.
      Last edited by 40 Nuck; 06-03-2008, 07:13 AM.
      Vic Ephrem
      AMCA #2590

Comment

Hi,
        I am not positive, but I think the clutch arm levers are the same length. I have a really nice original one at the shop, I will check it out tommorrow, and let you know for sure. Another problem that you probably have is the actual clutch rod itself. 46 and earlier clutch rods neck down like a spoke for most of the rod, and only get bigger at the ends, where the respective end and little blob (not a technical term) with the screw slot is. Anyways my dad and I made up a bunch of clutch rod ends to make later levers look like the earlier ones. There is some grinding and welding that needs to be done, but anyone can do it. Check it out in our products section on our website. I hope this helps.
        p.s. you should bring your 40 on our prewar knucklehead run this summer

www.carlscyclesupply.com
        A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Comment

Matthew,

First, is the lever you have for sale? If so, email me at vephrem@comcast.net and let me know how much. Second, I assume your pre-war ride is in the Dakotas. If so, I won't be able to make it. Would consider something in the Southeast, though.

Thanks very much for the info.
          Vic Ephrem
          AMCA #2590

Comment

Getting off topic here, but you missed a good ride in SW Virginia and E Tenn Memorial Day weekend (our 5th annual 3-chapter ride). If you are near, there is a Ride-in Show in Gold Hill, NC on Sat., June 28th from 10AM until 4PM. Last year we had about 65 antique bikes, 19 of which were knucks most of which were very nicely restored but riders nevertheless.

Come join us.

FYI, that is the same weekend as the Smokeout at Farmington, NC dragstrip so you could do a 2-fer.

Lonnie C from SC
            Lonnie Campbell #9908
            South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Mine rubs and all items are correct. Enjoy the rub marks. It shows you ride it!
              DrSprocket

Comment

There is a good possibility the the whole pedal bracket is bent inward.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                X