X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head torque

looking for the cylinder head torque for my 32 chief ??? thanks

Cscott!

I can only find a reference for later aluminum heads at 55 ft/lbs.

Does your '32 have studs or bolts? What kind of gasket have you chosen?

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Howdy Cscott

Ditto Cotten's inquiry on head gasket type - copper extremely preferred over compressible fiber based variants to permit lower torque requirements and extend head longevity. The same incredible 55ft lbs is required for 4's which when fitted with copper on clean deck/head surfaces will run leak free on as little as 25ft lbs. As these 38-42 heads are more fragile than Chief heads, with the newest now 66 years old, it is increasingly common to see them severely damaged having succumbd to metal fatique with deck warpage and washer lend compression.

Cannot quote a definitive torque number but head bolt specs/length of shank bolt head to cylinder deck when viewed intuitively alongside head sealing surface area relative to such low compression/modest power outputs makes 30-35 workable on good sealing surfaces with copper. My stock 440 is at 25 and the 441 with slightly modified motor is at 30 which after minimal carbon tracking on break in is now sealed.
      Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

this head is a bolt down type, and i got the gasket kit from tom fickau and the head gasket is a combination of fiber and some type of metal.......thanks for the replys

Comment

Working...
        X