Making Progress!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Progress!!

Owned the bike for ten years (bought it out of a hayloft on the big Island of Hawaii--no kidding). Never touched it. Finally found the motivation to get working on it. Here's the progress since March. If we knew it was this easy we'd have started on it years ago

Thanks for Matt and Carl Olsen from Aberdeen, SD for showing us an entire barn full of motivation last October.

Thanks to Dale Walksler of Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley, NC for his inpiring words: "Just get the damn thing running. If you wait until you have every correct part, you'll be broke or dead" (or something like that)

Finally Thanks VERY VERY much to Brock at Obsolete Engineering in Avon, Ohio. Without his skills, access to parts and most important his patient and grounded advice, we'd never have gotten this far.

This 39 scheme with 39 cases and 39 title has a 41-46 frame and large port heads, manifold and carb. Okay, so I won't win any AMCA events, but I'm sure going to enjoy riding it to the AMCA events!

I've attached some pictures of our progress.
    First photo is my dad lacing the stepped hubs and 18 inch rims on one of our many work areas--the kitchen table.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bodnarjw; 05-23-2008, 12:17 PM. Reason: more pictures

Good on ya! That's going to be a real sweet machine when your done! I've always believed that you get them running so you can enjoy them and then if your so inclined keep collecting parts until you can make it original. Ride 'em don't hide 'em!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

What kind of tires are those? I like them ... they have a vintage look,and they look like they'll perform better than the Coker diamond treads I have.
      Vic Ephrem
      AMCA #2590

Comment

39s have the best paint scheme H-D ever put on a bike!
        Must be something to this 10 year itch, I'm gonna pull out my pile of a 45 UL, and get started.
        VPH-D

Comment

40 knuck, it is funny you should say that in your post. The new tires on my bike ARE the Coker diamond tread. The one picture above looking down on the bike from the top showing teh front end is the old tire that was on it. I'm not sure what it was. Too dry rotted to keep, but I agree had a very vintage look to it. The 39's had the 18 inch rims. Most had 4 inch wide tires, but in some cases and on most police bikes they had 4.50 tires on the same rims (so I'm told)

We went with the 4.50 tires for a little softer ride and a little taller stance.

Slow progress is being made on the engine. Can't wait to get it all together. Maybe we'll see you in Wauseon or Mid-Ohio in July.

Attached are a few more pictures.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X