32E Generator / Spot Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32E Generator / Spot Lights

In the old days when they added spot lights to the lighting system, how did they adjust the generator? From what I have read, with lights on, the generator is boosted to increase the current output enough to equal the standard lighting load. The spot lights would require additional current above the standard lighting load. The only remedy I can see is to adjust the third brush to put out more current. The down side would be when running with the lights off the battery would be getting more current than it should (lights off the 3rd brush is adjusted for a generator output of 4 amps). How was this compensated for or did batteries boil over with the lights off?

In the old days, I think the boys who ran spot lamps did so for the extra light they provided. when it got dark they turned all the lights on. One benifit to be had from the spots if I remember right is that high beam and low beam with spots draw about the same amps. Low and spots is a little higher draw, this actually enabled a more stable charge (or discharge, depending on roadspeed) when the lights were on. So use em for light or looking at and set your 3rd brush accordingly.
    Brian
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
    X