Membership # 14023
    1957 Sportster

Found what i need
    Jeff Bowles
    Arkansas
    Membership # 14023
    1957 Sportster

Comment

WOW, I guess you're going for a 100 point bike with all these original nuts and bolts. Who and where do you get your bike judged? When my 57 is finished I want to bring it to shows and have it judged but mine won't be 100 points. I have spent a very long time searching for the correct parts but I am using new hardware simply because its stronger and I also want to ride this thing....and I don't think I have the patience to look for the hardware I need thats old and used. My 57 is powdercoated on the frame and other parts that are black, just because its more durable.....I know they did not have Powdercoating in 1957 but I am spending a lot of money and I want this thing to hold and last me. For example I used stainless steel spokes that are slightly a larger diameter just for a stronger wheel, I blasted the spokes so they are dull and would look like CAD but are infact stainless steel.

Hey Jeff, how close can I get out of 100 points with the things I listed. I have a lot of original parts, some reproduction including my horn, rear fender, and the things like the spokes. I have not painted the bike yet but I do have a container of what is "supposidly" Pepper Red color. I have an aftermarket solo seat that I will ride with and I have an original saddle that I need refurbished, have all major parts. I'd say based on the pics mine is a lot like yours but minus the "Original" hardware. How does your bike get scored as is right now?
      I don't mean to bother you, just curious and I can't wait till I finish building mine.

-Paul
      New York City
      1957 Sportster
      AMCA Member# 9766

Comment

Paul, most of the hardware you need is available from Old Dude. It is either NOS or correct reproductions. Beautiful stuff. I don't know how anyone can do a proper restoration without the Old Dude. Great people, and great service.
        Last edited by DaveSwanson; 09-05-2008, 09:58 AM.
        Dave Swanson
        1956 FLH
        1969 FLH
        1964 XLCH
        1956 KHK
        1936 VD

AMCA 11659

Comment

Originally posted by Powerlifter626 View Post
          WOW, I guess you're going for a 100 point bike with all these original nuts and bolts. Who and where do you get your bike judged? When my 57 is finished I want to bring it to shows and have it judged but mine won't be 100 points. I have spent a very long time searching for the correct parts but I am using new hardware simply because its stronger and I also want to ride this thing....and I don't think I have the patience to look for the hardware I need thats old and used. My 57 is powdercoated on the frame and other parts that are black, just because its more durable.....I know they did not have Powdercoating in 1957 but I am spending a lot of money and I want this thing to hold and last me. For example I used stainless steel spokes that are slightly a larger diameter just for a stronger wheel, I blasted the spokes so they are dull and would look like CAD but are infact stainless steel.

Hey Jeff, how close can I get out of 100 points with the things I listed. I have a lot of original parts, some reproduction including my horn, rear fender, and the things like the spokes. I have not painted the bike yet but I do have a container of what is "supposidly" Pepper Red color. I have an aftermarket solo seat that I will ride with and I have an original saddle that I need refurbished, have all major parts. I'd say based on the pics mine is a lot like yours but minus the "Original" hardware. How does your bike get scored as is right now?
          I don't mean to bother you, just curious and I can't wait till I finish building mine.

-Paul
          Paul, Paul, Paul,
          Why tear a bike down and put it back together wrong? Do it right so you won't have to do it over. New correct hardware is available from Clete (Old Dude). Reproduction parts are allowed by the AMCA IF IT IS THE HIGHEST QUALITY PART AVAIABLE. Aftermarket accessories that replace an onriginal part like a seat mean points off. If you want you seat done correctly send it to Worsham Castle. ( http://www.worshamcastle.com/ )
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Pual i have not had my bike judged yet i hope to ride it up to Davenport next year.
            Jeff Bowles
            Arkansas
            Membership # 14023
            1957 Sportster

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I do have some NOS hardware I ordered from NOSPARTS but certainly not everything. I will look through my parts catalog and search for the hardware.
              New York City
              1957 Sportster
              AMCA Member# 9766

Comment

Working...
              X