1947 Knucklehead Tank emblem repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Knucklehead Tank emblem repair

Anyone know who can restore 47 emblems including chrome and paint?

Originally posted by gallen View Post
    Anyone know who can restore 47 emblems including chrome and paint?
    I know a guy who can do the fixin' on the badges. Remove dents and restore the surface. I have seen 50th Anniversary badges and 1955 badges he has done, beautiful. Not cheap as chrome plating is expensive these days.
    Call David at Jackson Jewlery
    210 520 1885
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

are the remakes of the 1950 emblems usable for amca judging ?

moose
      Moose
      aka Glenn

Comment

The reproduction 47-50 tank emblems that you get from Harley are not even close to the originals and wont pass AMCA judging. I have seen some early reproduction emblems possibly made by Eagle Iron that look pretty good but those are just as hard to find as the originals.

Comment

I can't even get myself to look at a bike with the reproduction '47-'50 emblems. In my mind, they make a bike look cheap. No matter what the bike is. They look awful. Good luck with your search of finding someone to restore your originals! Way to take pride in your bike!!

Comment

46WL, that's a brutal appraisal. Out of curiosity, how are the reproduction emblems different ? I mean, exactly how are they different ?
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Sorry, wasn't trying to be brutal towards anyone. I personally don't like them, as they stand out like a sore thumb. Just making a comment, not trying to put anyone down. Sorry guys. Maybe I should have kept that to myself.

Comment

The repop paint schemes are incorrect. Paps

Comment

Brutal??? I dont think so they look so fake it is sickening I dont see how a MC can be judged high with a set of them

Comment

I know the letters should be red but what are the other differences ?
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

The rounded shape at the front of the emblem is not the same contour as a real one. The center bar that bisects the round shape is not formed correctly, either.
                      Personally, I don't find them ghastly, but would prefer originals. My daughter will be running the Eagle Iron emblems until she can afford some real ones.
                      VPH-D

Comment

[QUOTE=Matt McManus;68455]The reproduction 47-50 tank emblems that you get from Harley are not even close to the originals and wont pass AMCA judging.

Oh?
                        It is the clubs position that reproduction parts are allowable as long as it is the highest quality repop available. All the repop emblems come from the same source.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

46WL, it wasn't my intention to put you on the spot like that. I seriously am curious as how the reproduction stacks up to the genuine becuase I just can't spring for the real thing right now. I'm doing a '48 FL (the best knucklehead) and in spite of great fortune in finding a lot of the real tough stuff, those *&^#$! original emblems are too (*@#%! expensive and usually beat to hell. On another post, one of our members suggested that reproduction should be rated and critisized on this forum in hopes that the big mail order guys who fund this stuff will insist on accuracy from the manufacturer.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

"Oh?
                            It is the clubs position that reproduction parts are allowable as long as it is the highest quality repop available. All the repop emblems come from the same source. " Chris Haynes

Before I became a judge I had a good friend that got a point deduction for repro tank emblems on his 49 pan, and I thought that he should have recieved this.

This is also on page 12 of the judging handbook."6. Accurately reproduced parts count the same as original while judging a restored category.However, in judging an original condition
                            category the part must be original."

No one accurately reproduces the 47-50 tanks emblems. It doesn't say anything about the highest quality reproduction. I am not trying to get in a pissing contest just stating how it is said in the handbook.

Comment

I completly agree with that judging rule as it applies to "unrestored" original motorcycles. Exceptions have to apply to "restored" motorcycles which I believe is the point Chris was making.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X