Tires in the unrestored category

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires in the unrestored category

Hi, my Dad and I are going to have our bikes judged in the unrestored category and we have a question about tires. What are the rules regarding tires? My 1969 Sportster has Avon Speedmasters and my Dad's 1968 Triumph has "made in japan" dunlops. Since these are not the tires that came stock on these bikes, will we lose points? We ride our bikes quite a few miles to the AMCA meets so it would be unsafe to ride on original tires, but I just want to know ahead of time if it will be a point deduction. Thanks in advance for your help.

tires in the unrestored category

Jerry
    tires are considered a wear item, and can be replaced. BUT they should look like the original tread pattern. if they are a modern type tread, you will lose some points
    Kevin
    Kevin Valentine 13
    EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Oley Judging

Had my bike judged at Oley this year for the first time. I am new and still learning. One of the judges told me two things that I can not verify. I have a 64 FLH.

1. I was told the levers on the handle bars were wrong. The judge told me the levers should have a pretty good curve to them and a large ball at the end. Looking in my HD parts book I think I might have to disagree.

2. I was also told that the Duo Glide emblem on my front fender was wrong. The judge told me that the little R in a circle for registered trade mark was at the bottom of the end of the letter E in the word Glide and should be at the top of the E. I looked at an original 64 at the show and the R was at the bottom of the E.

I am not disputing the judges for the reinstatement of points, I just want to educate myself. I do not want to replace parts and find they are not correct for the next time.
      Any info would help.

Thank you

Comment

I am a Sportster guy, but as far as I know the Sportster and big twin used the same levers. 1964 was the last year for the curved "blade" type lever. They had a curve to them and were pointy on the end (no ball end). The newer style lever that is straight with a ball end came out in 1965. make sure your parts book is for 1964. If you have a parts book that covers later years it will show the part that was the replacement for your bike in the year the book came out. In many cases they replaced an obsolete part that was no longer available. If your parts book covers years later than 1964 I would guess that is why the parts book is not matching what the judge told you regarding the levers.

Comment

65 levers

i may be wrong but don't think the ball end levers are stock on the 65's

Comment

they came out in 1965 on Sportsters for sure. However they did not have the hole for mirrors until late 1965 or 1966.

Comment

What is it about getting your bike Judged?.....Why?

Comment

T-jacobs
                if the judges made a mistake, we can fix it. like suggested find a 64 parts book and submit the request or bring it to the next meet.
                the judges try their best, but we are human and sometimes makes mistakes
                Kevin
                Kevin Valentine 13
                EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Working...
                X