Sport Scout engine numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Scout engine numbers

Hi folks, I've got a wierd situation, and need some help identifying an engine number. A friend bought a complete sport scout engine and transmission, that was mounted in a warrior frame. He was told by the owner that the bike was built by Sammy Pierce, for racing offroad. My friend only purchased the engine, so we removed it from the frame, and returned the bare frame to the owner. My question is, does anyone know what the engine numbers mean? They don't match any sport scout engine numbers that we can find, and I'm wondering why the numbers are so wierd. The numbers are 68-45-07, and the casting numbers on the cylinder barrels are sport scout numbers, as well as the carburetter is a sport scout carb.
    Thank you for the help'

Erik

I'm wondering whether it's a possiblity that you have a factory replacement set of cases with home-stamped numbers? Do the numbers look Indian???
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

The engine number from Indian should start with FDB101-xxx , and these don't, but the actual stamps appear to be Indian's size, and font. I'll try to post a picture of the engine numbers on here tonight, or tomorrow.
      Thank's for the reply,

Erik

Comment

Corey, I hope this picture helps, just click on it to enlarge.

Cheer's,

Erik
        Attached Files

Comment

mmmmmmmmmmmm..... there are lot more knowledgeable Indian fellers out there than me, but I don't recognize the configuration. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a lot of Scout folks on the forum. A little later this evening I'll dig out some of the Scout info I've got and see if I can come up with anything.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Jerry Wieland

Sammy had a lot of NOS Scout stuff so I will hazard a guess here. 68 is the year, 45 is the cubic inch and 07 is the number off the line. He was intent on restarting the Scout so maybe you have something?

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
              Sammy had a lot of NOS Scout stuff so I will hazard a guess here. 68 is the year, 45 is the cubic inch and 07 is the number off the line. He was intent on restarting the Scout so maybe you have something?

Jerry
              I think your onto something here Jerry. Sammy did definitely try to get things up and running again. NOS replacement cases were blank so Sammy I guess could have stamped whatever he wanted in them. I looked through some books, but couldn't find any pics that the numbers were visible on any of his machines. He sold out in '71 I believe so your '68 year theory is definitely possible. Now it would be interesting to know what that motor looks like on the inside as I think he did performance upgrades on his Scouts.
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Jerry, and Cory,

Thank you both for the replies, and I also think that Jerry's onto something. I was thinking the same thing, that Sammy used his own numbering system, but I thought I'd better ask some more knowledgable folks on here. I can remember some of Sammy's bikes being at the shows in Visalia, Ca., but I was so young, that I don't remember any specifics.
                As for perfomance upgrades that might have been done, I'm sure some things in this motor where upgrades, but I've never been into Scouts, and can't recognize anything different in there. I'll have another look, and maybe get some pics of the internals for you, like cams, valves, rods, and flywheels.

Hope your all having a great weekend, and got in some riding time!

Cheer's,

Erik

Comment

I think I remember reading somewhere that Pierce did stamp his motors in this fashion but it's been a while. Bob Stark may know more. Paul Gambaccini also stamped his own numbers into the motors he built, the one I saw included his initials. It seems like a shame to part out a Sammy Pierce Scout, is there any chance your friend could buy the rest of the bike?

Comment

I think the rest of the bike is long gone, and to be honest, my friend is not intending to pursue a project at this point. I think he's looking to find out more about the motor, and then put it up for sale, or up on Ebay.

Comment

Perhaps i can help here.
                      I own a Sammy Pierce Scout. It's numbers are "68 42 30", which translates to built in 1968, 42ci (stroked 741) #30 built. It is mounted in a 249 frame and originaly came with Enfield Indian tanks and alloy fenders. I have the original bill of sale and correspondence from Sammy about the bike.
                      I expect to have it running in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kojack View Post
                        I think I remember reading somewhere that Pierce did stamp his motors in this fashion but it's been a while. Bob Stark may know more. Paul Gambaccini also stamped his own numbers into the motors he built, the one I saw included his initials. It seems like a shame to part out a Sammy Pierce Scout, is there any chance your friend could buy the rest of the bike?
                        I agree that Bob Stark is the source of choice.
                        And yes, the rest of the bike is the ticket, some dam way, somehow.

Comment

Working...
                        X