H-D Sidecar Check strap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-D Sidecar Check strap

Hey guys I need some help. I've been using my Duo-Glide with sidehack for a few years now and this Bike tracks and handles well for it's era and I enjoy it alot. The Car does bounce abit upfront when hitting those bumps in the road. I got everything I need over time for the Check Strap underneath with proper ends and good spring. I've taken pictures and measured many other Sidehack machines with check straps on and have seen many variations on several connecting ways. That being said is there a reference of factual location diagram that I could use besides using variations put together that I have seen many of. First off I've seen the strap itself going under just the frame, some under both S-Bar and frame to some under just the S-Bar? Personally with the Juice Brake line beside the main frame I don't feel would be right. I've seen the front bracket mounted at the end of the front Car/Leaf spring support mount which I feel would be right, to some mounted behind it on the floor of the car. The rear mount inner side of the car I believe may be a measured mounting spot about 8" back from the front car/leaf spring mount. Also when the car is empty should there be any load on the spring at all since when the car is loaded it would lose some tension? Thanks to anyone who can offer factual info as I've seen too many different applications and ofcourse some without like mine is now....Maybe this is the old story "If it aint Broke don't fix it" Keep Riding them, Merlin in Pa.
    Last edited by Magic; 04-07-2008, 10:34 AM. Reason: left wording out

Side Car Parts

Hi:- Have you ever contact L&W Body, they are in your area there in Duncannon, Pa. Taken from an old catalog but he must know everything there is to know about side cars. He makes parts and bodies. A friend of mine just ordered and recieved a body for his 23 about a month ago, so they still be around if they didnt move from Duncannon.....Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

L&W ( Wolf) is still in Duncannon. You might have to stop in and see him in person to get the info though. A friend of mine had some questions about seat mounting in an early hack he bought off them and had to go over there to get the info. Trying to give that kind of info over the phone can be confusing. He is usually at Oley and Jefferson. Don't know if he does any other meets.
      Brian
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Hey Guys, Thanks for the replys on a subject not so popular it seems. Yes I have dealt with Merl Wolf and have been happy with the results. I'm sure after all the photos I have of various connected ways I've narrowed it down to under the S-pipe only because of the brake tube and wiring harness behind the main frame and with some light tension on the spring with car unloaded at a close to 90 degree angle as possible with the strap. I have underside pics of Merls Softtail car which I considered heavily in my decision for mounting. Yes Oley is in my back yard practically..about 15minutes away and I'll be helping out there somewhere during the meet. I use to always think why do people put sidecars on motorcycles as it takes away from the enjoyment of twisting, leaning,and turning on those back roads, Boy was ever wrong LOL It's a whole other world of enjoyment with the chance of looking over at your best friend with a smile from ear to ear...priceless. Keep riding them. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Working...
        X