Shifter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter question

On my '27 DeLuxe, I've noticed that I need to be sure the shifter is all the way forward, past the indentation for first gear to work properly. Okay, just adjust the linkage. Except, this evening on a short ride in the neighborhood, I also discovered that the lurching I've been experiencing is really the tranny trying to jump out of third gear. On a long uphill pull, it actually jumped out of gear. If I hold the lever back past the indent, it is smooth and doesn't lurch.

So, what do I do about the linkage? Adjust so it doesn't jump out of first, or third?

I hope this isn't an indication of a deeper problem.
    Rick Pope, aka rickeieio

Hey Rick, just a guess as I am no mechanic - but I have been in mine when it was being rebuilt. I bet its just the adjustment, sometimes there abit tricky to get right. But just alittle adjustment to the right spot and shes good as new. But also just alittle out of adjustment and troubles as you say. Do you have the little owners manual ? I know on the Hendersons, they have dogs for first and high gear. If your not hearing any other bad sounds or anything and when you hold the shifter its fine. I would think with a little luck just some careful adjusting and your good to go. Every once in a while mine will take a little push farther forward to go into first. Most times it drops right in, I just did mine with it up on the rear stand and just kept turning the wheels as I listend and felt it going into gear. Kept at it untill I thought I could not get it any better, been that way 10 years now. Hopefully thats all it is, best of luck with it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Tom. But the problem seems to be that the shifter needs to be adjusted forward to correct first gear, but it needs adjusting to the rear for third gear. As far as I can tell, there's no way to do that.
      Rick Pope, aka rickeieio

Comment

Busy day here, washing, polishing, and starting bikes. Time to bring them out of hibernation.

Anyway, while putzing around, I walked past the Henderson and noticed that there are two holes in the shift lever for the shifter linkage. Duhh. If I move the clevis to the top hole, it will extend the stroke on both ends of the shift gate. Hope this works........

One of the bikes I was fooling around with is my old CB750 Honda. Hadn't been started since Wauseon. Filled the carfbs, kicked it through twice and punched the button. Started almost as easily as the Henderson. I love those fours.
        Rick Pope, aka rickeieio

Comment

shifter

Rickeieio , I think there are two or more holes on most of the shifter levers , do not know if these are orriginal or just put there by later owners to give more adjustment perhaps to save taking engines apart and adjusting on the inside but if it works all well and good , give it a try , hope it works ok and happy riding , Ken
          Ken

Comment

Working...
          X