Front exhaust clamp with flex shielding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front exhaust clamp with flex shielding

I have a set of the flexible chrome exhaust shields for my 1940 EL, but realize that the clamp for the front pipe (from the exhaust port down to the squish pipe) doesn't seem to have a home any longer. How was the front pipe secured when the accessory exhaust shielding is installed? Thanks.
    Vic Ephrem
    AMCA #2590

You end up using a flathead-style clamp, and llike a flathead the clamp is installed below the sidecar loop casting and ends up almost out of sight.

Lonnie C from SC
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Thanks a ton, Lonnie ... just the info I needed.
      Vic Ephrem
      AMCA #2590

Comment

I am sorry Lonnie, but you are mistaken, my original paint 41 EL deluxe sport solo has the flex pipe shortened and the clamp up high in the normal position. I did the same on my 39 EL deluxe sport solo, Check some pictures of prewar knuckles and find out for yourself.
        Carl
        http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

This one got me thinking , as I have seen old photos showing both ways. So I looked at a few. It would appear ( from the handfull I looked at anyway ) That prior to WW2 it was done the way carl described and after it was done the way lonnie describes. I did not realize that, so now my day is not wasted, I learned something today.
          Brian
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Wow ... I thought I was just asking a simple question that probably had a common answer, but you guys have pointed out a subtle change that I hadn't found anywhere. I had heard about the shortened shielding, but was a little suspect. I also am having difficulty finding photos of pre-war bikes with that accessory. Thanks again to all. Vic
            Vic Ephrem
            AMCA #2590

Comment

Ther are a few at the back of Palmer's book. The section that goes year by year. Also saw some in the Enthusiast, Don't remember wich ones.
              Brian
              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Carl, you are absolutely right, I stand corrected, I should have done a bit of research before replying. In the year-by-year section in the back of Palmer's book, there are clear photos showing the exhaust bracket above the sidecar mounts. From what I can see the '47 knuck has the long front cover and definitely the panheads - a great shot in there of a '49 with the cover.

What is the part # for these covers and were they all "trim to fit" or did the early versions come with a short piece for the front and the later versions with a long piece?

FYI, I used the long one on my '41 EL Utility Solo - in my opinion they look better and H-D must have thought so also since they changed over. I also like the lower exhaust bracket as I feel it is less likely to slip.

That brings up an interesting thought - since these were accessories (except on the Deluxe Solos since they were part of the Deluxe group, at least in '40 - '42) and accessories are not judged, can one go either way?

Lonnie C. from SC
                Lonnie Campbell #9908
                South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Thanks again guys ... I can't believe I missed the detail in the pics at the back of Palmers book ... even with my glasses and a magnifying glass. The front 3/4 of the 49 shows very clearly, and I missed seeing the bracket on the 40's frame (right side view) above the sidecar loop. Now, I will have to decide between the two as the later solution, as Lonnie said, looks better and probably functions better. Vic
                  Vic Ephrem
                  AMCA #2590

Comment

Here you can exactly what a 1940 EL cover should look like.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Perfect Pic, Chris ... thanks. I'm actually go to take a stab at this tonight. Vic
                      Vic Ephrem
                      AMCA #2590

Comment

Working...
                      X