Thor Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thor Timing

Looking for info on how to time a boush mag. Ihave a 13 -14 Thor 5 and need help!! Mag was out of the machine and there are no marks for timing that i can see. Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks

Have you had any luck with info for your timing? I know one or two guys with Thors and a mag guy. If you have had no luck I will ask around for you, just thought you would of had a reply from those in the know. Might try George Yerocki - probably spelled wrong, he has a add in the mag usually and he has a ton of literature, probably has something I would guess. I will look in my books see if I see anything, good luck.

Comment

I too have wondered about this question. Where are the tech guys???

I dug through some of my books and found this in "The Motorcycle" "Construction, Operation, Care and Repair" Text by C.P. Shattuck. Copyrighted by The Automobile Journal Publishing Co. 1912"

Timing The Magneto

In fitting the mechanical generator, it is bolted to the base prepared for it with the driving gear loose on the armature shaft, and the dust cover removed. The piston of the first cylinder is brought to the top of the compression stroke, and this may be acccomplished by means of a wire inserted through the petcock or other opening in the cylinder head. Sometimes the maker marks the driving pulley or other part so that the position is noted readily.

The timing control lever is then retarded and this is done by moving it as far as it will go in the same direction as the armature turns. The latter is then rotated by hand until the interrupter is just about to be broken by segment I. It is then held securely while the driving gear is tightened on the shaft. The leads to the spark plugs are attached in the order of marking.

This may give you something to ponder while waiting for a more indepth answer.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Mag timing

Try Lane Plotner for Mag questions. He's one of the few that specialize in mags and mag repair. He's a member and lives in Oregon.
        Bruce Reichelt

Comment

Hi Redzo,

Was cruising the forum for other Thor info and see your post. Only 9 years late here but can give you a starting point to help if still needed - i would hope you got your answer already so you can ride your Thor.

The Thor operation manual states to set while advanced, progress the motor until just as the rear cyl (II) exhaust valve closes(at the point the .003 gap happens). Remove the mag with gear attached and rotate the gear until just at the point of start of interrupt of front cyl (I) - its the interrupt to the right when looking at it. Fit the mag back being sure not to move motor or mag and bolt it back in (make sure the gear meshes back to the idle gear). When i set mine per the factory instructions like this it starts and runs so i believe it to be correct.

Side note - since the mag gear to taper mag shaft has no key (so it can be adjusted) - make sure its tight. Mine has slipped in the past and timing obviously gets off.

The above method is so you don't need to remove the intake to confirm piston height. Dyke's motor manual states the location during spark for the Thor (at advance) is 5/16" before top and you may want to confirm after setup its there.

cheers,
          Paul

Comment

**correction to above - I mixed the cyl numbers above - cylinder (I) is the rear, cylinder (II) is the front

Comment

Working...
            X