Henderson prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henderson prices

Just trying to stir something up on the Henderson section. I have been told by a collector or two, big time collectors - compared to me anyway. That Hendersons are the best deal on the market for old four cylinders. The books I have read almost all say in their day the Hendersons were the best of the fours, yet they seem to be the cheapest on the market? just curious, why is that? what do you guys think. I like em all and most were atleast inspired by the same brothers if not designed by them. So why does an Indian four usually go for more? Ace or Cleveland maybe I could see as I would think their quite rare. Not knocken any I would love to have a Ace or Indian, Cleveland oe even a Pierce, just wondering why Hendersons seem to come up short at sell time?. I dont plan on ever selling mine, just wondering - have you guys seen the same, or heard it?

Well, I gotta admit I'm glad they're relatively cheap. I'm not afraid to ride mine. In fact, I rode it yesterday. One primer kick, and one real kick, after being drained at Thanksgiving.

If it were worth a lot of money, I'd either park it or sell it.
    Rick Pope, aka rickeieio

Comment

Good point Rick, glad to hear you were out on yours. Last time I rode mine I thought about that. Remember thinking if the prices keep going up I will not be able to afford to have it fixed if something happens. Did'nt like thinking like that - cause if I cant ride em I dont want em. I and lots of the rest of us are going to have to learn to fix as much as we can I guess - and I am working at that, with everything I own. Hope the deluxe was running good, take care Tom.

Comment

This is a good post Tom. I agree to some extent about Hendersons being a good buy but I don't think enough of them have been on the market to say they are undervalued next to an Indian, or an Ace. Also, the Detroit Hendersons and Pierce 4's are probably the most valuable and desirable of all the Fours. Of coarse the KJ is very desirable these days and how many motorcycles can lay claim to having a very popular web site devoted to just 3 years of manufacture, (hendersonkj.com). Hendersons are near and dear to me and I am very prejudiced when they are compared to other American fours. Personally, I would take any year Henderson over any other American four, but that's just me. Getting back to monetary value, it's the '38 - 42 Indian fours that command the big bucks and rightly so. Those years are beautiful machines with a reliable and powerful motor. I think those vintage Indians have been the holy grail and cornerstone of many a collection going way back in the AMCA. With that kind of history and name recognition, the late Indian fours will always be considered king of the heap, but I predict the Henderson K, Delux, and KJ will steadily gain desirability as more people discover their beauty and rich history.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Interesting Eric, lots of good points. I have seen a couple of your Hendersons on this site, really nice machines and good work, really first class. I will have to check out that KJ site more often. Guess I will just be very grateful I was lucky enough to get a Henderson. I could not really afford it when I did it and I sure could not replace it today. I think your right on what the prices will do too, thanks Tom.

Comment

Tom, my intrest in Hendersons was always strong but like you, I never thought I could afford one. I had the opportunity to trade a couple of Harleys for a KJ many years ago and that was my first Hen. I have to say that my experience with the KJ was terrible because I owned this bike long before the internet and ebay and of coarse it needed all of the hard to find KJ stuff including a set of KJ connecting rods. Toney Watson had a lot of Henderson parts back then and that's how I got to know him. Toney was a tremendous help with parts and advice and I got the bike together because of him. In spite of that help the KJ kicked and screamed all the way and I have an overall unpleasant memory of the whole episode. What kept me going on the KJ was Charlie Carter's Deluxe. He had his own business in an old industrial section of Orlando and it was a great place to ride his Henderson. There was little to no traffic there and there were some long straight roads where you could stretch it's legs. I still contend that the Deluxe is one of the most enjoyable bikes I have ever ridden. They sound great, they're comfortable, and I have never been on a bike that felt more stable. You are very lucky to have a Deluxe and some day I hope to join that club.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Hey Eric, that's cool stuff and I found it quite interesting too - because when I first got my Deluxe in 92. It was just the frame, all else was in boxes, I forget if I put an ad for parts or just info, but Charlie Carter responded and sent me photo's of his Deluxe. I still have them in my album, also of a Excelsoir or two he had restored. We wrote back and forth over the years and I was always grateful to him. The pictures of his Deluxe gave me hope as to what mine would some day look like. I sent him Christmas cards for several years after that. Though I feel out of the habit lately.
              Is Charlie still with us? I saw several Excelsoirs for sale awhile back and was told they were ex Charlie Carter machines. Thought maybe something had happend? Yep I agree with you, Hendersons are a grand machine - I really like mine, dispite the handelbars - which I love the look of, it really does handle quite nicely.

Comment

It certainly is all about timing when acquiring a Henderson now. I've got one on my wishlist.

Here's a couple of bikes that were/are for sale..........

http://www.sales.indianmotorbikes.co...rson/index.htm

http://www.sales.indianmotorbikes.co...son4/index.htm

http://www.sales.indianmotorbikes.co...onkj/index.htm

Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Tom, I thought I had replied to your inquiry about Charlie Carter but obviously I didn't. I spoke with Charlie a while back and he was doing well, however, his Deluxe isn't. It seems some idiot on a cell phone put more thought into their conversation than their driving and ran him off the road. The Hen suffered front end damage but Charlie is okay. BAN MOBILE PHONES !

I think those Excelsiors you referred to were Charlie's which he had sold to Jim Lieby (sp.?).

Charlie is the most knowledgable Excelsior person I have ever spoken with, and for the new blood in the club, Charlie Carter was the editor of "The Antique Motorcycle" through the bulk of the 1980's. He and Rick Schunk (sp.?) have done more to grow and enhance the AMCA than any other single entity. I really wish the club would acknowledge Charlie's contribution while he's still with us. Unfortunately, Charlie left his postion as editor under somewhat contentious circumstances and I suspect there was (is) bad blood with the old AMCA board who made sure Charlie's legacy would be eradicated. If you think this is conspiracy stuff, I defy anyone to find more than 2 references to Charlie Carter in any of the club magazines that proceeded his departure. Regardless of Charlie's hasty departure from the magazine, I think everyone would agree that he put out some incredible magazines. Especially considering it was a non-paying position, on a tight budget, done in the days before "Photoshop".
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric, glad to hear Charlie is still well - I am going to drop him a line. I agree with your comments he is a first rate guy. Yep those bikes were being sold by Jim Liebees estate, Jim was a good guy too darn it, always liked him. He has been gone about a year anyways. Sorry to hear about Charlies mishape and man do I know what you mean about cell phones, not safe out there I tell you - seems like everyone is talking on those things instead of driving. Thats not even counting the nuts that about run you off just cause their trying to get up close and get a good look at that antique two wheeler of some kind :-( Have had more than one close call like that, you got to be careful - a bunch of idiots out there! Thanks C O for the photo's and prices - interesting. I would like to get an Excelsior V twin some day, you know one of the Big Three :-) Had a chance once, kind of - a 1920 big X, not all correct but all there and running. But as usual could not come up with the money in time and lost out, oh well. I am out of room anyways.

Comment

Here's one for you fellas to check out. I see the auction is nearly over. I wonder if it'll meet reserve?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=013
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks for posting those references Cory. It's a bit of a disappointment to see those low prices for Hendersons but then it sure would be a good time to get one. I'm sure my wife would love to see another motorcycle squeezed into the garage instead of a new car. I spoke with Jim Liebee on the phone a few times and he was a terrific guy. I have friends that were close to him and they had the highest regard for him. A guy can have all of the most desirable motorcycles on the planet but if he's a jerk, who cares. We can all name any number of jerks, and hard-asses that wouldn't give you the time of day yet they are compelled to collect and flaunt their prize motorcycles at all of the meets. On the other hand you have the guy that has just a 125 Hummer but he has a million friends in the hobby. It's all about karma, man. The journey through life. . . . . Which would really be fun on a 1925 Henderson Deluxe. Phew, that's some strong coffee this morning.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Hendersons are the best four

Henderson prices seem to be higher this side of the Atlantic but still less than Indian fours , Ace's and Clevelands BUT Hendersons are the best rides , I did just over 650 miles last week on my '26 DeLuxe and it purred just as smooth when I pulled up outside my home as it did when I left , I know of Indian four riders that just trailer everywhere , and everywhere over here aint that far , over there you have some excuse to trailer , a friend who has an Indian four as well as a DeLuxe says if he has any serious mileage to ride he will always choose the DeLuxe over the Indian (1938) !! but saying that I do plan to ride my '27 'Indian Ace' a similar mileage journey later this year , it'll be interesting to compare .
                          Keep riding them as they were made to be ridden , hard and long , happy riding , Ken
                          Ken

Comment

Way to go Ken, that sounds awesome!! I will really be interested in how your Ace does also, 650 miles right on!, most I have done is about 300 and that was in a weekend on my Deluxe. Very impressive, I am afraid I get abit uneasy with the thought of doing that with mine. Not the machines fault, just no front brake and the worry if something does go wrong, the fix might be very expensive. Also there are not to many Henderson deallers around these parts anymore. It does not bother me to run my Indian like that, but thats because there are Indian deallers and parts are still available and its got a front brake too.I do a 50 mile loop on the Henderson often though and shes running like new, take care Tom.

Comment

Working...
                            X