Paint Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Removal

I've got a shift gate for my Servicar that someone painted black, the paint has chipped off in a spot or two and the chrome underneath appears to be in excellent shape, it looks like the guy didn't blast or sand or do anything to rough up the surface before painting it. However, the remaining paint is still adhering quite well. Does anyone have a safe way to remove the remaining paint without damaging the chrome underneath?

Mike

I would use aircraft stripper, if that makes you nervous, you could use laquer thinner or acetone.
    A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Comment

Matt,

I tried wiping with acetone, doesn't seem to budge it. Would soaking it hurt the chrome? I was afraid what commercial paint strippers would do to the chrome also...

Mike

Comment

I used laquer thinner to strip a lot of black paint off of my dad's 41. Somebody painted the whole bike black and didn't care enough to take any of the parts off let alone mask anything. They just kind of aimed the paint gun at what they wanted to paint without any regard to overspray. Anyways there was a bunch of chrome parts that were painted black and I soaked quite a few of them in jars filled with laquer thinner. Most of the paint came right off, and what was left I was able to wipe off with a wrag. It didn't hurt anything.

You said that the paint was really thick, so maybe something a little stronger would work better. If the aircraft stripper makes you nervous, just try it on the back side, or on the bottom. I doubt it will hurt the chrome, but if it does, you won't be able to see it, if it is on the back side or bottom.
        A.M.C.A. Board Member

www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com

www.pre1916scramble.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Matt,

I think I'll try your idea of soaking and see what happens, the thing with acetone is that is evaporates rather quickly, it may not have had enough time to soften the paint. I'll throw some in a jar and let it sit, I think it should be fairly safe on the chrome.

Mike

Comment

Acetone is a terrible stripper but it is good for getting Bondo, or fiberglass resin off your hands. From my experience, nothing will remove chrome. I have been trying with NO success to remove chome from various parts. Of coarse there are ways to strip chrome but those methods are best left to plating companies with experience. Muratic and Sulfuric acid will affect chrome but I'm sure you won't be messing with that stuff. Very Nasty. Paint strippers work great but it's quite painful on bare skin. Matt's suggestion of lacquer thinner is probably the most effective and benign. You may want to pick up some latex gloves at the pharmacy. They're cheap and you get a lot of them in a box. In essence, chrome is safe from all chemicals except acids and water.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric,

Looks like laquer thinner is the unanimous choice, I've got plenty of acetone around but no laquer thinner, looks like I'l be going to the store. Thanks for the info about chrome, I just didn't want to take any chances in case the chrome is still nice on this thing.

Mike

Comment

Aircraft paint stripper will do it. Do it in an open area. The fumes are dangerous.
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X