Satin or Gloss Black???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satin or Gloss Black???

I am restoring my Grandfather's 1948 Panhead and am getting close to painting some of the parts, Forks, Brake drums, Wheels, Hubs, etc. What is the proper paint finish to use?
    I am looking to use a spray can on some smaller items, and would like to know if I should use Satin black or Gloss black paint? Does it matter on a restored bike as long as you are consistent? I am not planning on using any clear coat. As for Judging, I am trying to do this as original as possible but right now am not looking to have a show winner. However I plan on keeping this bike for forever, and I could easily see getting pulled in and striving for the 100 point bike. Paint is a hard thing to change after the whole bike is together.

Thanks for your help,

Josh R
    Josh Richardson
    1948 EL Panhead
    www.GrandpasHarley.com

Josh, paint is a controversial subject in restoration. I'm doing a '48 FL myself. For all of the black parts I have been using a single stage enamel with a hardner. It's probably a bit too shiney compared to the original finish from H-D but is very durable and forgiving during assembly. Also, I personally like a bike that's just a bit over-restored in regards to the paint. I know a lot of people go to powder coat but I think it's too plastic looking for a restoration. There are some good spray can paints but you sacrifice durability. In the end, it's up to you and how you want to balance expense, quality, and authenticity.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Exeric, Thanks for the reply. I am finding out that it is very wishy-washy on what is the "right" thing to do.

My plan is to also use enamel paint with a hardener for the large Items. I should have been more specific on the spray can though. I have been told that if you use the H-D Enamel spray paint, and bake the part after spraying you get a very durable finish, compared to just spraying it and letting it dry. Has anyone else heard or used this method? I have never painted anything with a spray gun and I am not really setup for it. I was planning on sending out the tins and frame to have those done. The smaller things I was hoping to do myself. H-D makes there enamel in both Satin and Gloss black, I have heard mixed options on what one I should use?

To comment on powered coating, when I started this project, that’s the direction was going to go. I even bought all the equipment to do it myself. Since then I have decided to go with paint, it just seems like the proper thing to do. Now to contradict myself, I did buy a nice original set of rims (40-705) that had already been powered coated gloss black. From different discussions on here I have decided that powder coated rims maybe okay.

I guess what I am really trying to figure out is…. If I match the finish of everything else to the gloss black rims will I be marked down for being too shiny if I have this judged? If that is the case I will paint everything with the correct “shine” (what ever that may be) and plan on painting over the rims or replacing them at a later date.

Sorry this is so long winded, I am just starting out on this project and don’t have much to work with. My Grandpa’s bike went through a barn fire and I am pretty much starting fresh. Pics are posted to my website, if you are interested

Thoughts, comments, guidance, advice are all welcome.

Josh R
      Josh Richardson
      1948 EL Panhead
      www.GrandpasHarley.com

Comment

Josh, going for 100 points on a big twin Harley is a noble goal. . . . . . Near impossible, but noble. Still, I think everyone should strive for the highest standards when doing a restoration. Regarding the degree of gloss, that is very difficult to nail down. There is not a 1948 FL on this planet that will reveal the true degree of gloss found in 1948. Paint fades and dulls with time and no matter how a bike is stored paint will suffer from impurities in the air, and radiation from light. The '47 FL you posted on your web site looks like the bike to use for reference. As you can see, the restorer used high gloss black on all of the chassis parts and personally, that's the way I'm going on my '48. I have had a lot of NOS parts for 40's and 50's vintage H-D's and a lot of it has not been what you would call "perfect". I think it would be safe to say that true NOS parts on a restored bike would loose points due to poor finish at an AMCA sanctioned judging. Again, this is all subjective and you'll hear many valid but different opinions.

I have had powder coated rims in the past and I think it looks fine on wheels. I'm doing a '51 FL now as well as the '48 and it has high gloss black painted rims. The paint looks great and is very tough.

The bottom line to all of this is, how are you going to use the bike ? For me, I like to do a good job but riding is the major factor, especially when it comes to modern bikes like 30's and later H-D's and Indians. Bikes from this era are still very road worthy and are a lot of fun to ride. Earlier bikes should still be ridden but clincher tires and single rear brakes can put you at a serious disadvantage in today's traffic. Whatever way you go, a good paint finish will preserve and keep the bike looking good.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

satin or gloss black???

Josh
          not being a Harley guy, I will state that Gloss is the way to go. as for powder coating, they offer a semi-gloss that looks just like paint and will not cost you any points in judging.
          good luck with your project and hope to see you and the bike at a meet
          Kevin Valentine
          Kevin Valentine 13
          EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Working...
          X