AMCA Judging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA Judging

If I wanted to know how many points my Knuck would get but did not want or could not drive it to an event, how would I go about having a judge look at it? My reasons are simple. Just because the guy I bought it from said it is 'original' does not make it true. I can't explian why I like old bikes, I just do. I buy them and play with them to keep my self from going insane. There is nothing like hunting down a part and successfully instaling it. The fact that I can sometimes make a bike run better than when I got it is my idea of a good time.

I have had a 1920 and a few flat heads. Shovels still rule in my book. I had two pans a few evos and am on my fourth twin cam. I've learned to like em and not love em. I let em go after a while so I can do it again.

This will be my first Knuck and I can't wait! BUT for the first time, I would like to get off on the right foot. Having the bike 'judged' will give me a good heads up as to what is really original and what is not. I guess I'm just looking for an honest opinion as to how correct the knuck is before I start to 'tinker'.

I realize that time is money and I am willing to compensate a qualified judge for their time. I am in the Chicago area.

AMCA Judging

Thanks for posting, Paul. I would like to ask the same question for the Jacksonville, FL area. I just had my bike judged in Eustis (my first experience at an AMCA event, and my bike's first submission for judging). While the information and experience were helpful, and the judges extremely patient, knowledgeable and cooperative, the sheer number of Harleys being judged precluded any post-judging one-on-one time for follow-up questions. For example, the judging sheet may have said "incorrect hardware" ... well, did that mean wrong hardware components (e.g., missing washer), or wrong hardware design, or plating, etc.? Another comment was wrong rear wheel ... as far as I can tell, it's the same as the front wheel ... so I would like help understanding what's wrong ... simply a wrong star hub or lacing, or an entirely incorrect wheel. So, it would be helpful and I would also be willing to pay for some one-on-one time with a qualified individual to go over my bike and provide detailed feedback. I have spent a lot of time in Palmer's book, but as you know, it doesn't answer all of the questions.
    Vic Ephrem
    AMCA #2590

Comment

My son and I have built lots of knuckles and if you send us numerous detailed shots of the bike we can tell you what is incorrect on your bikes. We have judged for the AMCA many years. On a side note how come when you share your bikes judging score with someone the first thing out of their mouth is "what was wrong with it" instead of "wow that shows you did a great job".
      Carl
      http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Earlier today I posted a reply under the JUDGING category. I guess it should have gone here. I guess I goofed.

Comment

Carl, good point; but years ago in school, when you took a math test and got 3 wrong...didn't you rush right down to the problems you got wrong to see what you missed? I know I did. 97% is great, but it's the 3% wrong that make you sad..

Comment

46 Knuckle

Carl, wow and thanks. I just looked at your website. Ya, you'll do just fine. I could probably pick up some parts from you also...

I am going to take some good clear pictures and then call you. If you want compensation, cool. If not i will send you some goodies from my store www.tattoofactory.com

Paul

Comment

knucklehead judged in Eustis

Originally posted by 40 Nuck View Post
              Thanks for posting, Paul. I would like to ask the same question for the Jacksonville, FL area. I just had my bike judged in Eustis (my first experience at an AMCA event, and my bike's first submission for judging). While the information and experience were helpful, and the judges extremely patient, knowledgeable and cooperative, the sheer number of Harleys being judged precluded any post-judging one-on-one time for follow-up questions. For example, the judging sheet may have said "incorrect hardware" ... well, did that mean wrong hardware components (e.g., missing washer), or wrong hardware design, or plating, etc.? Another comment was wrong rear wheel ... as far as I can tell, it's the same as the front wheel ... so I would like help understanding what's wrong ... simply a wrong star hub or lacing, or an entirely incorrect wheel. So, it would be helpful and I would also be willing to pay for some one-on-one time with a qualified individual to go over my bike and provide detailed feedback. I have spent a lot of time in Palmer's book, but as you know, it doesn't answer all of the questions.
              If its the Knucklehead I helped judged there were to many items in each cat.to list using the current judging form.for instance on the wheels it had the incorrect tires-rim-spokes-finish of spokes-incorrect hub-and was laced incorrectly.I believe we also listed number 8 carburator as being incorrect because it had the wrong carb.-manifold -and air cleaner-(all aftermarket)I had to leave early and would have been glad to go over the judging sheet with you.If you're available to go on any of the rides that are coming up in the Dixie and Blue Ridge chapters I'll be available.Also I'm having a swap meet in Juliette Ga.April 5&6 thats thats only about 3 hrs from Jacksonville.Les White

Comment

Thanks, Les ... I hope it came through my post that I really appreciated the judging team's professionalism, friendliness and hard work ... I really do. The comment was one more of wanting additional information. You are right, my bike was the one with too many issues to list. I have the parts to correct many of the major issues (carb, intake, clutch pedal, front brake components, primary cover, kicker cover, timer, horn face, engine hardware, etc.) but want some help on the less obvious ones. I knew going in that while the bike looks nice, it has tons of incorrect components. Thanks so much for the offer to assist. I may have a chance to make it up to the Dixie event, but am not sure yet. I know my bike will never likely be more than an 85 or at most 90 point bike because there are some things I won't change. I put 575 miles on the bike that weekend, and will continue to ride it often, and as it's restored, and not original, I know by the time the next show rolls around, it will not be as pretty. Anyway, things like the paint scheme, I likely won't change, and will always lose 6 points there. I will, however, attempt to get it all right other than the few things I have a personal preference for, like the paint. I will keep your name in mind, and look you up at the Dixie event. Again ... thanks again your volunteering your time, and offer of assistance. This was my first AMCA show, and I have to say, everyone I met was incredibly friendly and helpful ... it was a great orientation to the process and the AMCA.
                Vic Ephrem
                AMCA #2590

Comment

I got it today!

I just got my 1946 Knucklehead with sidecar. WOW! I had a few servi-cars and even a 1920 J. I can't get over the power of the knuckle. WOW describes it best. Even though I loved the servi's I was not able to go on the expressway with them. I only went around the block on the knuck. What a difference. This thing has got power to spare. I only went into second gear and was doing about 45-50 with two more gears to go! It's thirty degrees up here and I have only had the bike about ten minutes so I wanted to take it easy. Still not sure about brakes and tires. I will go over the thing when I have more time. Maybe on a sunny day.

Comment

Working...
                  X