65 FLH Cam Cover Welch Plug Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 FLH Cam Cover Welch Plug Leak

On the 63-65 Fl models, that have the outside oilers for the cylinder heads, there is a hollow screw, at the top of the cam cover, that directs the oil to the cyclinder head oilers. Directly above that is an oil passage that has a welch plug in it. My problem is that oil is leaking from the welch plug, and I prefer, at this time not to remove the cover, for repairs. The welch plug is 0.25" in diameter. It looks like, if I remove the hollow screw, that I may be able to punch the welch plug into the area normally occupied by the screw, and retrieve it, then replace it with a new one.

Has anyone had this leak, and come up with a method to repair it, with removing the cover?
    Anyone have a good source for welch plugs?

Thanks,
    Gary

Gary!

Welch plugs seat onto a shoulder; You would damage it to push the plug inward, leaving a poor surface for the new plug.

Perforate the plug with a small punch and use a sheetmetal screw to pull it outward.

Plugs are probably a universal auto product, but a proper size punch should make one easily. The original sealer was red, like Gasoila or Glyptal.

Good luck,

...Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten. I was unaware of the plug sitting on a shoulder. It pays to ask!

Gary

Comment

Gary, hear is another idea, after cleaning the area with Brake Cleaner, an blow drying it ,try some FINGER NAIL POLISH of that color. let it dry ,an refire your bike. I have used it before on automotive carbs, an other Small leaks.
        Paul

Comment

Loctite has a cappilary action thread lock and sealer,It's designed for use on things that are already assembled. I think the number is 209, but I would have to check to be sure.
          Brian
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks Everyone,

I tried the thread-locker(loctite green), and that did not work. I next tried the nail polish(I used clear) and it worked fine. It was a small leak, about 3 drops of oil, in 40 miles of operation.

Thanks again, for the tip!

Gary

Comment

Well, the nail polish lasted about 100 miles. What's next? Maybe J-B Weld.
              Gary

Comment

How are you cleaning it before you apply anything? Nothing is going to stick if there's still oil in the nooks and crannies.
                Brian
                Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Hi Brian,
                  I used a wax and grease remover with a Q-Tip, and followed with compressed air.
                  Gary

Comment

you probaly wont find a good sealer unless you use something like (shudder) jb weld which I would not do. but what cotten said was how we used to fix them at the dealership (years ago) using a sharp punch instead of drilling keeps shavings out of your oil. it does work and will probaly be faster than waiting to let the jb dry. I would use locktite on the new plug to help it seal. I used a slide hammer with a tip that would hold a screw I bought (cheap) years ago it beats pulling with pliers. it was made to pull dents out of fenders. give me a good measurement on the diameter of the hole as I still have some laying around and I will see if I have one.
                    Last edited by mmoore; 03-28-2008, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks. It's 0.25". The original welch plug is recessed quit a bit, so it looks like one could almost press another on top, depending on the thickness of the plug.
                      Gary

Comment

This is like beating a dead horse, but what ultimately worked best for me, was super glue. It's been about 500 miles, since the application.
                        Gary

Comment

I found that super glue worked the best. I have about 500 miles, since my temporary fix, and no leaks.
                          Gary

Comment

Just an update. I found that "Super Glue" worked best. It's been about 800 miles, and no leaks.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                            X