1939 seat discrepency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 seat discrepency

Perhaps there is somebody that knows... Following are some pictures of a '39 accessory catalog that shows a deluxe seat. The seat following it looks like that in the catalog, (part 3181-39) (I copied all photos from ebay). Neither the catalog or the seat look like what I thought a '39 seat should look like. Any thoughts? I am in the process of restoring my '39 knuck and the seat is coming up. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Here is the seat that appears to match the brochure, and the guy that was selling it said that it was a '39...
    Attached Files

Comment

side view
      Attached Files

Comment

Seat #2

Now, here is a photo of what I thought a '39 seat should look like. This is also similar to what Palmer's book calls '39.
        Attached Files

Comment

detail photo of "Floral Crystal Ornament" jewel.
          Attached Files

Comment

Seat #1 is called a 41-42 seat in Palmer's book. But why the 1939 catalog with the '39 part number?

Comment

The seat that is shown in the catalog and the one on eBay you have pictured is indeed a 1941--42 seat. The one with the crystal floral ornament is a 1939. The catalog calls it a deluxe regular solo as it was a thin pad seat with a skirt and non-vented shell assembly. This was the seat called Rhino russet. The eBay seller was confused to say the least.--Michael

Comment

Did anybody see that seat that went a little while ago on ebay for $2250.00? Ridiculous! I am thinking it is some kind of scam, possibly to run up the price on older seats, or something. And those Knuckle tanks in poor condition, over 4 grand? Cheesus K. Rist!! Mike

Comment

This ebay seller was not confused- to say the least. Palmer's book is indeed a great reference tool. However, I would be remiss to have doubts and not consult my archives of Factory original catalogs and advertisements. I had hoped by scanning my fragile book I would avoid and confusion from people who don't have the same access I do. The picture of the tan seat with the jewel in the back is a '39 and a nice one. It has become the standard by which most people judge what is or isn't a '39 seat. As my Factory original catalog shows that isn't the only seat Harley sold for '39. I hope this ends the confusion.

Comment

The accessory catalog page that appears at the top of this post is from 1941. The seat shown with the rosette, concho, latigo strip, and crystal floral ornament is a 1939 seat. I have been researching seats and saddlebags for 8 years for a book I am writing, have all the accessory catalogs from the 19 teens through the 1960's, and have copies of the original production drawings so I believe I know what I am talking about!!!

Comment

I forgot to add that in 1940, the deluxe solo became a true deluxe model with 2 inch thick padding. It had a scolloped skirt with fringe. As it was a deluxe solo seat, the part # was still 3181-39. In 41, the padding remained the same but the skirt was changed to the style in the catalog page at the top of this post. As it was a deluxe solo seat, the part # was still 3181-39. In 1947 the part # for a deluxe solo changed to 3181-47.

Comment

Michael,
                        Thanks for your reply. I really don't have much more time to dedicate to this posting thing, I don't see the attraction. I guess that means the lofty status of " Senior Forum Member" will never be mine to clout around but I'll try to get by............. Since you are a Senior Forum Member and are writing a book then you must know what you're talking about.........On a side note, my mother is a very talented seamstress and she envies your work. Please let me know how soon I can expect your book in Borders. Kindest regards, Mrs. BNSONS

Comment

BNSONS,
                          I am not quite sure how to take your reply, but you get to be a Senior Member just by posting on this forum. I believe that there are quite a few members of this forum that will not only attest to my knowledge of the subject, but to my craftsmanship in restoring and reproducing these items. I doubt you will be able to find my book at Borders as it is being published by a subsideray of Amazon.com . I plan to have it ready by the Oley,PA meet this year.---Michael

Comment

Michael,
                            Thanks for clearing this up... the '39 part number was throwing me off. The guy on ebay didn't post the outside cover of the accessory catalog, he just claimed it was from '39.

I'll be sending you my pan to recover. I have talked to several guys that have restored knuckles and they all pointed to you to do the job.

Thanks again for the responses.

Comment

BNSONS - don't go away mad. While Paquette is an acknowledged expert on Harley seats I urge you to vigorously debate your position. That's how the knowledge pool is expanded, not by conceding a point simply because an expert has decreed something. I for one am willing to believe your scan IS from a 1939 catalogue simply from the colour of the paper. I know the accessory catalogues from the late thirties were printed on some goofy coloured stock. As silentgreyfello says, to bolster your case, give us a scan of the cover showing the date. I don't have a 1939 accessory catalogue, but do have a reprint of the 1941 accessory catalogue and I know your scan is NOT from there as the layout and text are different (see attached scan from the 1941 edition) ... Perry
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X