1929 Jdl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929 Jdl

My friend just dug up a partial 1929 JDL engine.

From what little I found it is out of a 74" factory racer.

Any additional info would be appreciated.

thanks ,
    Joe W

Mrs Lug

What makes you believe this motor is a factory racer?

Glide

Comment

What is the serial number? In the books I find an FDL and an JDXL but not a JDL. Harley usually raced the two-cam which had the JDH letters in the vin, if they even stamped it. ...bill

Comment

Bill
        I only asked because I hear that statement and always wonder what exactly made the guy think it was racing stuff. I thought if it was stamped 29JDL it was a regular production motor. If it was stamped 29JDH the same. I don't think the racing two cams were stamped in the same fashion.

Interesting about the books mentioning the JDXL but not JDL in 1929. I have a 1928 JDL stamped machine and its the same deal. No mention of that in the books I have anyway.

Glide

Comment

Originally posted by sswaney
          Bill
          . . . I have a 1928 JDL stamped machine and its the same deal. No mention of that in the books I have anyway.

Glide
          I find mention of the 1928 JDL. An internet Google pops up one refernce to a 1929 JDL on a German list of Harley models. What do you believe the L stands for; 'lectric? ...bill

Comment

I have some reproduction Dealer advertising that describes it as a Special Sport Solo version of the standard J model with the smaller wheels, narrower tanks, roadster handlebars and dow metal pistons like the JDH's.

The parts books do refer to "Standard" and "L" motors.

Comment

1928 dealer poster

1928JDXL ad
              Attached Files

Comment

I see "...lightening get-away...." I wonder if the L stood for lightening? ...bill

Comment

I like the reference to "stream lines", two words. Too early in time for it to have become streamlined? Great stuff.

Comment

I had a 1929 JDL many years ago. It had skinny tanks and I was told that it used some of the JDH tricks in the ports. Connie Schlemmer told me what I had. I thought at first it was a homebuilt racer but he said it was factory hop-up for the street.

Jerry

Comment

Hi Jerry,
                      Do you recall, did your JDL have the open style inlet housing caps like the JDH's? I always wondered about that as the parts books just show the "L" motors sharing the same flywheels and pistons as the "H" motors.

Comment

A friend on the J/JD site tells me "Pages 68 and 69 of Jerry Hatfield’s book describes a bit about these models." This would be Inside Harley-Davidson isbn 0-87938-388-7 ...bill

Comment

sswaney

I really recall very little about the specifics of the bike for 2 reasons. I bought it out of the northwoods of Wisconsin at a time I was struggling financially and it was real rough. I could always come up with money to buy stuff to peddle but not to hold onto for any amount of time.

I took pictures of the bike and showed Connie at the old LeMars Iowa National meet and he enlightened me about it and actually sent me some xerox copies of some factory literature. I might try to dig it up.

Kinda interesting but at the same time I bought a J bottom end that was actually sold as a single. The rear cylinder was blocked with a plate. I forget the year and letter suffix of this motor. Connie also knew some about this engine. A friend of mine still has this motor buried somewhere in his stash.

Jerry

Comment

Harley's 1929 Layout Sheet lists the JDL as a 74 cu. in. with "Dow Metal Pistons." Sheet doesn't list any other special features (narrow tanks, etc.) like the 28JDXL has listed and there is no 29JDXL listed.

Comment

A buddy found a clean 1928 JDL motor maybe 10 years ago in Russia. I did not know of that "L" back then and was sure there was a JDH coming up. I was so disappointed that I did not buy it for a sum less than what you have to pay for a cylinder today. He said he sold it to the States.
                              Fiskis

Comment

Working...
                              X