1941EL, FL Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941EL, FL Cases

I would be interested in knowing what is the earliest 1941 serial numbered knucklehead cases with the tall reinforcing ribs? Are there any cases out there with tall ribs and bonafide 41 numbers. I've seen several sets with questionable numbers but don't ever recall any with tall ribs and good numbers.

John,
    I had a set of original 41EL cases, with the short ribs.
    The vin. was in the 5000 s/n range. I have the number
    written down in the shop, I will E-Mail it to you
    L.J.H.

Comment

I have never seen a set of 1941 cases that had the full ribs. They might exist but they would have to be at the very end of the production year.

Jerry

Comment

I had a set, don't remember the number though. I sold it to Geo. Threedouble and he has since passed.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Long Rib 1941 Cases

I had a 1941 FL years ago that had long ribs on the left case. I just looked at some old pics and verified this. The VIN was good and the belly numbers matched. VIN was 41FL3728.
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Afterthought on 41 case ribs

Once the factory realized the problem with 74" motors breaking left cases and redesigned the left case, could they have used up stocks of the short rib cases puting together 61" motors and only used the new case on 74's till the old stocks were eaten up? Just a thought.
            Mark
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

That was my understanding of how the existing inventory of short rib cases was used.Have also heard that the long ribs were introduced fairly early on in production, and it wouldn't be any surprise if most of the short rib FL's had replacement cases at some point on time, with long ribs, due to failure at some point.
              Brian
              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

My 41 is 41FL3852 and it is the short ribs and I have seen much higher FL #'s with early cases. I remember somewhere that the ribbed cases actually appeared in the late 1940 parts book. Jerry

Comment

Here is a picture of my 41 FL number Jerry
                  Attached Files

Comment

There was an original paint 1941 barn bike at Oley with 41FL522* for a serial number. It isn't my bike so I will not reveal the whole number. Highest one I have ever seen and it still had the early short ribbed cases. It was parked in 1951. Jerry

Comment

Wasn't that one an absolute treasure? When I saw it fri afternoon it had a "Not for sale" sign on it. I trust it has found a good home.
                      Brian
                      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I just picked up 41EL5321 and it has short ribs, there is a guy near me that has 41F5000 and it has short ribs. Does anyone have a 41 knuckle that has a legit VIN and long ribs?

Comment

bmh

The bike was not for sale. The guy had just picked it up. The story goes that he noticed some nice parts being sold on eBay by people not real familiar with HD's. He followed it up and found that these guys had stumbled into a pile of old bikes at an estate and the rest got parted out but he was able to buy the 41 basically intact. Jerry

Comment

bike at Oley

The oley bike is sweet... I am trying to download some of the photos, but the website won't let me because the files are too big. Here is the only one that is small enough. I don't know how to resize the photos with my new computer, but if someone emails me, I'll send the photos to you and you can post them.
                            Attached Files

Comment

silentgreyfello emailed the photos of the knuckle from Oley. They're attached ... Perry
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X