HD Vinyl Seat Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Vinyl Seat Restoration

Hi - I have seen a number of folks advertising leather buddy seat restoral work, but have yet to find anyone that has a good recommendation for a shop doing Harely Vinyl Seat restoration. My '65 Pan has a one year buddy seat (gold beading, smooth top). Stitching has dry rotted and separated. Wondering if anyone on the board has a good reference or has had this work done?

It depends on what it actually needs. If it is just stitching, any good upholstery shop should have no problem. I don't know about the gold roll. You can still match most of the old vinyl. Most upholstery shops have many samples. On another thread here in the judging section, it was said that the closest that can be attained could be accepted by AMCA judges. You have to check for the orignal color, because any seat that has been exposed to the elements, and is that old, has probably changed. I am still wondering myself, about that kind of shiny, smooth covering I have to replace on two 1965(?) seats. It seems there was one special vinyl, that is REAL shiny, and smooth, compared to the others. Most were pebble grain vinyl. Maybe together on this forum, we can get this figured out eventually. I dispute claims about some seats as being from the Panheads, when they have patterns that I am pretty sure were later, Shovelhead seats. But I can't be positive. Like I have said before on the Forum, the later model Harleys, and other makes, I am sure, that are now "classics" are lackjing in documented info on a lot of items, especially the touring accessories, and other peripheral items. You might call Prairie Salvage Fabrics, in South Bend, Indiana. I was told they have some of the older vinyl still. Ph. # 574 289-9316. Let us know if you find out anything. Mike

Comment

Ray..... Contact Michael Paquette at Worsham Castle Cycle Leather. He is a fellow AMCA member and expert craftsmen when it comes to these things. Check him out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider
        Ray..... Contact Michael Paquette at Worsham Castle Cycle Leather. He is a fellow AMCA member and expert craftsmen when it comes to these things. Check him out.
        Do you have a url or contact info. Or will a simple google search work?

Comment

Originally posted by portagepan
          It depends on what it actually needs. If it is just stitching, any good upholstery shop should have no problem. I don't know about the gold roll. You can still match most of the old vinyl. Most upholstery shops have many samples. On another thread here in the judging section, it was said that the closest that can be attained could be accepted by AMCA judges. You have to check for the orignal color, because any seat that has been exposed to the elements, and is that old, has probably changed. I am still wondering myself, about that kind of shiny, smooth covering I have to replace on two 1965(?) seats. It seems there was one special vinyl, that is REAL shiny, and smooth, compared to the others. Most were pebble grain vinyl. Maybe together on this forum, we can get this figured out eventually. I dispute claims about some seats as being from the Panheads, when they have patterns that I am pretty sure were later, Shovelhead seats. But I can't be positive. Like I have said before on the Forum, the later model Harleys, and other makes, I am sure, that are now "classics" are lackjing in documented info on a lot of items, especially the touring accessories, and other peripheral items. You might call Prairie Salvage Fabrics, in South Bend, Indiana. I was told they have some of the older vinyl still. Ph. # 574 289-9316. Let us know if you find out anything. Mike
          Portagepen - you hit a a good theme. 65 Pan's I think we can all agree are a unique challenge to their owners. You really need to understand Pan history and what was happening. This year is certainly special in terms of all of the collective first, last, single year parts, etc. I would submit that it would be appropriate to have a seperate group under the harley section that is specific to 65 pan owners. For those in the know it really requires you to almost know every individual part on the bike and be ready to realize your year was the only one that had it or the first or last one that did ;-)

Back to the seats. I do know that '65 had the single year smooth top vinyl seat with the gold bead. And that unique hardware underneath (yest those one year shoulder bolts) The original from my bike is the one that has separated. I have taken that off to save it for parts/pattern. I am certainly looking to match the pattern which is none (it's smooth) general color (white) and gauge of the material It's also a fairly stiff vinyl, not all that supple. The gold bead really makes it a '65 seat and of course the typical look for the stamping on the pan. That beading, if needed can be removed and actually reused from the existing seat.

I also have another original seat that I have stored it is NOT nos, but has seen little use. I can provide that as a finished look I would need for any artisan that can accept the project.

I know that there are parts horders that have NOS examples of these seats. When you see one for sale be prepared to sell your first born into slavery to get one :-)

Comment

Here's the place Ray,

http://worshamcastle.com/

Comment

I contacted him before, and he has helped me with another problem, but he does not mess with vinyl. He is a leather man.
              He is very good at what he does.
              Mike

Comment

the original Vinyl is no no longer available. That said, I can do wonders with original seats. Or if you have a seat cover that I can work with, that will do. It is not that I just do leather, but if an original material can no longer be found, I would rather pass on the project than give a customer a product that they will be unhappy with. I pride myself on my reputation for quality restoration work, but sometimes compromises must be made---M

Comment

Working...
                X