paint code needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint code needed

Would anybody know the paint code or who would be able to supply the paint for a 49 Harley....Metallic Congo Green?

Thanks
    Dewey

John Pierce at Color Write sells it:

http://freewebs.com/colorwrite/main.html

Look under H-D Colors by Year, it's there...

Mike

Comment

49 HD Paint

Thanks Mike.

I found that site after I wrote this request. I'm actually trying to find out if I can buy the paint I need from a local supplier. I live on an island in western Canada and it might be a bit of a hassle to try to get paint sent across the line. So I thought if I could find a code or a recipe then I could get someplace locally to mix it up for me.

Thanks again.

Comment

Dewey,

Here's another option. Contact Lonnie at Antique Cycle Supply:

http://www.antiquecyclesupply.com/

He sells paint chips, and has the Metallic Congo Green listed. You could then take the chip to a paint shop, and have them match up the color with a spectrograph. Then they could mix the paint up right there. That way you wouldn't have to worry about shipping paint into Canada. My buddy did that with his '59 Pan, and it looks great. Just another thought...

Mike

Comment

We used on of those chips you mention for the Cruiser Green '41 on the '41 EL being restored. After the bike was painted we found a small can of H-D original paint that had almost set up and used that to make a couple of larger (about 5" in dia.) paint chips and compared those to our sample chip. Matched exactly.

By the way, the EL should be running this weekend and troubleshooting will begin. Should be about 60-degrees here in SC then.

Anyway, those chips are a good alternative.

Lonnie C from SC

Comment

Oh, I forgot the obvious. The painter, a local chapter member, Bob Aton, used the chip and had a local supplier near Charlotte to make up the paint in catalyzed enamel. As Bob said, the person mixing up the paint from the chip needs to be well experienced and this guy was.

LC

Comment

Thanks gents...much appreciated. Will keep those options in mind, but first I have to find a template for the sargeant stripes to drill the holes in the fender.

Comment

60-70's Triumph Paint Codes

Anyone know of a source for vintage Triumph paint codes?
                I'd like to buy paint locally and specifically not mail order from New England.

Comment

Working...
                X