Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions?

This is more of a bodywork question, but couldn't find a more appropriate discussion thread, maybe we could rename this "Paint & Bodywork"? Anyway, anyone have any ideas on how I could attempt to repair this??
    Attached Files

I'm assuming that is lead so the weld-on stud and puller would be out of the question. I've seen quite a few tank sets that involved cutting a "door" in the back and repairing from the inside. The doors on these repairs I've seen seemed to be re-installed using gas welds but a MIG welder would do a better job - just don't try to weld it all back into place at one time.

I've also seen where a rounded tool, custom made for the particular repair was inserted through the gas filler hole, heat applied to the damaged area and the dent pushed back out. My buddy used this method to repair my '41 EL left side tank severely bent in at the shifter gate pivot. It worked great but be advised it is time consuming and required much patience on the repairman's part.

Lonnie C. from SC

Comment

Lonnie,

It "was" lead, the guy I bought it from pulled most of the lead repair from the tank. The metal underneath is in bad shape, very delaminated and thin. A stud welder literally burns holes through what it left. My feeling is the only option in this particular case is to cut out the bad metal and replace with good, just wanted to see if there are other options out there.

Mike

Comment

Fill it with water and let it freeze, the dent will come right out.
        Carl

Comment

I doubt that you can find that kind of knowledge in a book Carl......... I just bet that'll work. Ice is an amazing thing!!

Comment

Carl,

Thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like a great idea. Two questions come to mind, though. First, do you think ice would crush or distort the oil lines running inside (wouldn't have to worry about this on a gas tank)? Second, even if the dent comes out, I'm still facing a problem with badly corroded/weakened metal in that area. What do you think? That really IS a good idea, though...

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X