Recharging magneto magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recharging magneto magnets

Does anyone have an easy way to recharge the magnets on Aero or Dixi mags? Done some research and it is possable to do so but so far everything has been for Model T's and such but nothing for motorcycles. Found some interesting sites and lots of information but not sure how to apply it to my mag. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    TR

Magneto Magnetizer

If you have sometimes to charge magneto magnets build your own. The booklet from David J. Gingery 'How to Build a Magneto Magnetizer' (ISBN 1-878087-15-0) will tell you step-by-step how to do it. If I remember right I got this hint from Perry Ruiter a few years ago. I'm very satisfied with this easy to build and good working tool.
    If you have only one or two magnets to charge you can also send them to me, but shipping cost from Germany back to U.S. will run about $50.
    Martin
    Attached Files
    Martin Brill

www.brillantparts.com

Comment

Gingery Magneto Book

This book is available from Lindsay Publications, www.lindsaybks.com
      A company based in Bradley, IL.

Lindsay republishes many of the old technical books from the past. For instance there are a lot of books on how to do babbit bearings, steam engines, foundary work, etc. He has a great sense of humor as you can see from this picture from the back of his catalog. His many book descriptions are also quite humorous.

The Dave Gingery Magneto Magnetizer booklet is 36 pages and costs $7.95.

Howard
      Attached Files

Comment

It's a great book. I've yet to use the knowledge within. But I'm glad to hear that his description for a magnetizer works. I'll have to get on building one.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Hi Martin..

I live in Markt Einersheim, Bayern...

You got time to recharge a Fairbanks-Moorse mag's magnets?

I was told that the mag for my project bike's a little weak on the spark and should be recharged..

georgehowardgreer@yahoo.com

Let me know

George
          George Greer
          AMCA # 3370

Comment

another method using a growler

A friend borrowed one of my old generator growlers. He rigged a junction box with an outlet and momentary switch and rectifier. It was wired so AC went into junction box but came out DC through the outlet on junction box. He then simply plugged the growler into the DC outlet, set the magnet on the growler poles an pressed the momentary switch several times. Holding the switch on for longer periods does no good as it is the building and collapsing of the magnetic field that does the job. Oh yeah, you need to use a cheap compass to find the North and South poles on the growler. You could also use some sort of adapters so that the magnet sits flat on the pole pieces, it may be more effiecient that way. It did actually work quite well, he said he learned the trick from a Model T Ford guy. Another thin you do NOT want to touch the magnet when the button is depressed! Cam

Comment

I sent my XLCH magneto to Morris Magnetos for re-charging the magnets. They did a great job and it cost about $50.00. I cna really feel the difference when I spin the armature. You can find them on line.
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

If you ever watched someone recharge a magneto Magnet you would know that to pay someone 50 to do it is a Rip Off! It takes all of 15-20 seconds, including set up.
                http://laughingindian.com/
                http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

when i was a kid we used to recharge the magnets by holding the gear on an old buffing wheel and turning it backwards for about 2-3 minutes. the bike would fire right up again and last 2-3 riding seasons. i learned that trick from an old farmer who told me that was how they used to recharge the mags on old farm tractors

Comment

recharging magneto magnets

do some research into the hit and miss hobby. the magnetos for these engines and old tracrors are recharged quite often at shows as well as mag repair guys all around the country. it ony takes a few seconds to recharge, but good chargers are expensive to build or buy. i son't think it costs anywhere near $50.00 to just get a recharge though. marks magneto comes to mind, but i don't have an address for him.

Comment

Working...
                    X