Non factory, dealer installed equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non factory, dealer installed equipment

I recently obtained a 1972 BMW R75/5 from the widow of a dear friend. The bike has 10K miles and is in amazing original condition. I would like to show this bike but am unsure how to best proceede. The bike came from the dealer with a Windjammer fairing and Wixon bags, which are mounted with a non BMW luggage rack/backrest. The fairing uses the original turn signals and headlight bezel and bulb/reflector/glass. These items were removed from their stock location and installed in the fairing. The factory headlamp bucket and turn signal stalks are intact. Would these items require that the bike be entered in Period modified class? Would they disqualify the bike from judging in the regular class? Remove or not remove, that is the question!
    Thanks for any advice.

non factory dealer installed equipment

accessoires that do not detract from the overall aperance of the bike do not count. if they are period accessories leave them on

Comment

Thanks. Apparently, I was making that much more difficult than it was. I'll leave her as found and plan on trying in Oley.

Comment

A friend has a 1937 EL. He has the original bill of sale from Dudley Perkins Harley-Davidson showing the bake was sold new as it sits now. Wearing a red & white 1936 VL paint job and 19" rims. A shame, but if judged it would receive a 6 point deduction for paint applied to a new motorcycle by the dealership before it was sold as new. I am sure it would receive mention about the rims too.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris
          if your friend has the original bill of sale showing that the bike was delivered to the dealer that way, there would be NO deduction.
          Kevin
          Kevin Valentine 13
          EX-Chief Judge

Comment

I don't believe that was Chris's question, IMO. Back in the day when rail car automotive carriers were open to the elements. Vandals would stone the new vehicles as they passed by. Damages were repaired at the licenced dealerships. Some needed minor touch ups. Others were completely repainted. The factories would not except the returns as damaged merchandice so the licenced dealerships had to make the repairs. A first owner vehicle, such as one of these repaired ones, make these vehicles suffer point reduction, in a judging ? My point is.... the repairs, regardless of them being minor touch ups or full colorings, were authorized and subsidized, by the factories. Paps

Comment

Paps
              my answer was to Chris about the 1937 EL, if the owner has the original bill of sale showing the bike delivered that way, we would not deduct for it.
              the original question had already been answered correctly,
              Kevin
              Kevin Valentine 13
              EX-Chief Judge

Comment

OOpppppppsss !!! Sorry Kevin, I miss read the reply. Paps

Comment

Using this line of thought I am reminded of when my local dealer, Santa Monica Harley-Davidson, pulled new FL's off the showroom floor. Repainted them Black and White, and made police models from them.
                  Also when H-D first introduced their original 1979(?) Green and Orange four speed Heritage models nobody would buy one of the ugly things. So the dealers repainted them. Would these biles fall into the same catagory?
                  How about bike of today that are custom painted, chromed out and loaded with aftermarket accessories then put on the showroom floor. What catagory will these bike fall into in 35 years?
                  Interesting thought.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                  X