considering buying a 51 EL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• considering buying a 51 EL

looking for opinions on the value of a nearly correct 51 EL, I'll see if I can get some pics next time I go see it, Mike

I have a 1951 FL and I think it's priceless. It's the best motorcycle I have ever owned. I've had it for about 20 years and the only time it's ever failed to start was due to dead batteries, or no gas. I currently have it apart for a long overdue restoration and the motor looks great inside. I really like the looks of early HydraGlides and I think they are one of the best kept secrets among antique motorcycle collectors. As for a real value. . . . I don't think they're worth that much compared to Harley's of the 30's or 40's. . . .Maybe in the 15 grand range for a nice one. However, it will run circles around any Harley or Indian made before it and give you more satisfaction per mile than most antique motorcycles.

Comment

Well Eric, Now you've done it, no longer a secret. When visiting a friend in North Carolina last year, he gave me his nice old original paint 52FL to use. It had been a while since I had a rigid pan of my own. They really are great motorcycles. I am anxious to complete my 50FL, but there are a couple of projects ahead on the list.

Comment

I should rephrase my last statement. A panhead will give you more miles of satisfaction than any other antique motorcycle.

Comment

exeric,I to felt that way about my early pans ...............until I got my 1951 Chief !!!!!Harley-Harley made of tin ride-en out push them in !!!!!!!

Comment

My '40 Chief is just as good as my pan. The only problem with the Chief is the battery and that's not Indian's fault. That Chief is as reliable as a watch and lot's of fun to ride. Since tearing down the '51, I now rely on the Indian as my "always" rider and it does that job beautifully.

Comment

This year 2008 it is 40 years since I bought my first Harley. It was a 1952 FS. Oh, how I miss it.... You see she sleeps over the winter in an another stable 10 miles from home. I must go tomorrow and tap her gently on the gastank. Only 3 months to spring!

Comment

Fiskis, how long is the riding season in Finland ? I'm sure there are some hearty souls that think it's all year around but what is the realistic riding season?

Comment

Traditionally you stowed away your toys in mid October and took them out in mid April. Lately the winters have been warmer (40*F) especially in southern Finland. That means that sometimes you have nice riding weather (60*F) in November. The cold and snow is not the biggest problem as you can dress to survive. They throw tons of salt on the roads and it chews up the aluminiun parts and destroys all plating. Thats why I don't ride in the spring if the weather is wet as the roads flow with salt water a long time till the rains clean them up.
                  Before my time when the bike was in the Helsinki Police Force, the winters were colder and the men tougher. They used it all year around. It was equipped with a huge winter windscreen, legshields and spiked Nokia winter tires.
                  But when clean fresh snow covers the frozen salt on a cold winter day (below 0*F), you can take out the old lady for a spin.
                  The 52FS is restored 20 years ago, not to AMCA specs, but the way it first appeared after a winter spent in the garage 40 years ago.
                  Fiskis
                  Attached Files

Comment

panheads

Hello Fiskis,
                    NICE Pan,this is the 54 I'm building,needs paint and final engine assy.
                    Ken S.

Comment

sorry !no photo's

for some reason the photo's will not post i can send e-mail
                      Ken S.

Comment

Give it another try Ken. I know a lot of us would love to see it here.

Comment

Your picture was too big for this forum. I have not had time to find out how to make them smaller the correct way, but I send them to myself in an emailprogram that asks if you want to make the pictures smaller. I click yes and then I get it downsized, and it fits into the "AMCA mailbox".
                          Let's see if Kens '54 Pan comes through...
                          Fiskis
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X