high beam indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high beam indicator

Was wondering where the high beam indicator lights mounts on the 65, have heard that some mount below the right turn indicator while others have said in mounts behind the headlight of the top of the housing. I thought also that some had come with a cigarette lighter that mounts on the same location behind the headlight

I think the high beam indicator light mounts just to the left of the right turn indicator light in the back side of the headlight housing that wraps around the right fork tube. That is, the side facing the rider of course. That is true on a 66 FL and I believe the 65's were the same.
    There was an accessary ciger lighter kit that mounted in the center of the handlebar clamp cover. It came with a template to mark the cover for drilling. I don't remember if it was a HD item or some other after market provider. Got one on the bike but didn't keep the box it came in.

Comment

ok, I've heard a couple of different theories and the high beam indicator, I've seen some 65's have them and some that don't so I'm not sure if that was a dealer or a factory option or not. I had heard that the right side was the high beam, but both turn signals ran to the left side were there was only one indicator. so all you knew was that a turn signal was on, but didn't know which one. then again turn signals were a factory option anyway.

Comment

Hello, On my 65FLH The High Beam red indicator light is directly in the center of the handlebar clamp cover. The triangular shaped aluminum cover. The turnsignals are below behind the tripletrees on each side with the green lenses. Since these type indicator lights are just mounted anywhere you can drill a hole in the Aluminum covers...There may of been many choices/options to mount them...I dunno for sure. On mine 2 more red lenses are close to the turnsignals indicators behind the triple trees/front forks. Those I believe were added on as well back in the day of multiple accessory lighting. The Lense type used where the raised bubble type approx 5/8 diameter. From what I know there wasn't a clamp/bracket type just for the indicator lights as on previous years. Keep riding them, Merlin in Pa.

Comment

ok, i guess there maybe was and either or option, as where your high beam indicator is mounted was usually reserved for the cigarette lighter. on mine i have one red and one green mounted on each side behind the triple tree. there is a hole on the top mount that was covered by a aftermarket harley emblem. guess i'll drop the lighter and mount the high beam there

Comment

Originally posted by 65eglide
            on mine i have one red and one green mounted on each side behind the triple tree.
            That is where they are supposed to be. Viewed from the rear of the motorcycle, the right side lamp is red and is for the directional signals. Left side is green and is for high beam. All of my old parts manuals confirm this. If you have spotlamps, the switch should be mounted beside and to the right of the directional lamp. The hole in the handlebar clamp cover is for the steering damper and that is all.
            Dan

Comment

Although only one of my four '65s (I'm down to two) was found that way, I agree.

...Cotten

Comment

Hello, On my 65FLH The High Beam red indicator light is directly in the center of the handlebar clamp cover. The triangular shaped aluminum cover. The turnsignals are below behind the tripletrees on each side with the green lenses.
                my 65 is the same ,bought off original owner. both turn indicaters are green , high beam is red . 1966 was mounted on glide cover

Comment

wasn't the optional cigarette lighter mounted on the top cover also ?

Comment

Flthead is correct - if you tried to mount a cig lighter in the hole placed in the handlebar cover for the steering damper you will prpbably find that there is not enough clearance for the wiring without hitting the fork stem. The cig lighter goes in a separate piece that mounts on the front of the h'bar cover with two screws that go into the cover. This piece is triangular in shape with the longest side being designed to fit smoothly against the front side of the h'bar cover, the screw holes are in each top corner. Perhaps someone has one and can attach a photo.
                    Lonnie

Comment

The front of the riser cover is also where the optional [accessory]
                      tachometer was mounted.
                      VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by Lonnie
                        ... Perhaps someone has one and can attach a photo.
                        Lonnie
                        Part number 91800-60 ... Perry
                        Attached Files

Comment

Close up of the instruction sheet ... Perry
                          Attached Files

Comment

Perry, are both ends of the wire closed loops? I have the black wire for mine, but the hot lead to the cigarette lighter I have is too short in the outer casing for a loop to clear the metal. There is a screw on wire end on the lighter that came with it when I got it. The plunger of the lighter says 72 Casco 12V. I suppose any lighter will work, but I am just trying to get original.
                            Thanks, Mike

Comment

Have to reply to myself here. I was looking at the wrong lighter here. The one I was looking at was in the handlebar clamp cover, not the add on piece in your pictures. I went and found that one, and it is just like yours, and the wire with a loop end on it will work fine. One thing I can't see in your picture, which I suppose you have, is the grommet, that goes under the rolled edge of the lighter case to insulate it from the aluminum bracket. Mine was rotted, so I just put a rubber o ring there.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X