'15 rear hub bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '15 rear hub bearings

While working on this brake drum deal I dug a little deeper and found out the wheel bearings are shot. This uses the balls with the cups machined directly into the hub. Does anyone know of a conversion to put in some sort of sealed bearings that will not require machining?

I see Competition Dist has a board track hub with sealed bearings but I would like to avoid having to break down the wheel if possible.

Thanks,

15 HD Rear Hub

I had a similar problem when restoring my 15. My rear hub was pitted some and only solution I had was to carefully polish out the unit, relube it and check it occassionally. Someone will eventually make these hubs? Steve
    Steve Klein
    Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
    American Pre-teens - 1965
    AMCA Member 12176
    Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
    www.CherokeeAMCA.org
    Steve@SteveKlein.com
    Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

My 1923 JD has good races in the front hub but the 3/8" ball bearings are bad. I'm just going to put new bearings in there. I won't be running this for several years, and plan to check them, and keep my ears open. My experience with cars from the 1950's is that you can hear the bearings when they start to go. Not the best solution. It would allow you time to find other front hubs. Also, talk to machinists in your area. Possible they could build up the races (welding) and machine them out to take off-the-shelf sealed or roller bearings. ...bill
      Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Working...
      X