Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1922 Indian Standard Pipes

Hi everyone.
    Does any one know of a supplier of pipes to suit my 1922 Indian Powerplus (Standard)? I'm only after the header pipes, as i have a good muffler and exhaust pipe. Thanks for any leads on this hard to find item. I can't find anyone in my region who will bend pipes up for the bike and it's keeping my machine off the road.
    Best wishes all.

Ken.

22 Indian Standard Pipes

I always get amazed with the lack of comments some times. Over 150 views and no one knows of anyone who bends Indian Powerplus pipes?
    How do any bikes get back on the road?
    Please excuse my frustration!
    Ken Kemp
    Nth Queensland
    AUSTRALIA
    Member # 8756

47 Chief
    2006 BMW K1200S
    Getting seriously interested in Vincent
    2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
    SYM 125 Scooter

Comment

Ken, I don't know of anyone that supplies PowerPlus pipes but I had to make the pipes for my 24 Big Chief. I'm sure you have heard of filling the pipe with sand and welding caps on the ends. This works great for small pipe but I wouldn't want to meet the guy that could bend your header pipe. What I did on my Chief was to make a number of saw cuts half way through the pipe. The Cuts were about 3/8" apart and on the inside radius of the bend. This allows for a very smooth and controlled bend and based on the number of cuts you can make the radius smaller or larger. When you have the bends you need, you weld the saw cuts and smooth the welds out with a sanding disk. TIG welding works the best but I have brazed and stick welded with good results. If you are going to nickel your pipes you will want to TIG weld the cuts. Hope this is of some help.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

G'day Eric

G'day Eric.
        Thanks for the reply and information mate. Unfortunately, I have neither the equipment or skill to fabricate the pipes my self, hence needing a shop to do the job. I'm also hampered by being 3000kms away from the bike (due to my military career).
        I've re e-mailed a well known US based supplier of Indian parts for the teens and 20's, who continues to advertise their availability on his (updated!) site, but they never return the e-mail.
        Just looks like I'll have to wait until I'm back home next year, and can get the bike to a major city so the pipes can be custom mandrel bent. Very frustrating.
        Thanks again for your advice Eric, and best wishes mate.

Ken.
        Ken Kemp
        Nth Queensland
        AUSTRALIA
        Member # 8756

47 Chief
        2006 BMW K1200S
        Getting seriously interested in Vincent
        2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
        SYM 125 Scooter

Comment

Exhaust pipes

You could try the Smiths in Oregon. At one time they were getting pipes made for that vintage of Indian. I went all over Portland Oregon and found two places that were able to make nice pipes but they just couldn't be bothered it seems. One place had my samples for over a month and the other one complained when I asked that they slightly change the bends to get them closer to my original sample. And all this trouble when I was willing to take 5 sets of pipes.
          Bruce Reichelt

Comment

Working...
          X