Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repair of scored Chief cylinder barrell.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair of scored Chief cylinder barrell.

Hello! May I raise an acute technical question/problem which I believe many motorcyclists have come across sometime?

This problem is a scored cylinder barrel on a 1924 Indian Big Chief, resulting from a piston pin coming out to one side. The pin has machined 2 shallow and neat channels in the cylinder wall of an otherwise little worn cylinder which also has little worn cast iron piston. I am reluctant to sleeve this cylinder and am considering 2 options; 1st -- to silver braze/ fill these 2 channels and then scrape/re-machine and Flex-Hone the cylinder, 2nd -- to use flame spraying with special bronze powder (35 Rockwell hardness) to fill the 2 channels, then re-machine and hone. I am more inclined towards the 2nd method as it usually does not produce bubbles or pores (it requires no flux) and provides a harder surface than silver.

If anyone has previous experience and "been there" I would kindly like to hear from you about possible amount of distortion (I am going to use Vermiculite powder for slow cooling).

If it were mine, I would not like to apply enough heat to braze, or metal spray, . Why don't you have it sleeved? Or can you bore it out to a larger size. Stan

Comment

Thanks for your reply. OK. I have been warned that sometimes the cylinder top comes off when the sleeve is pushed home. Then it is said to run hotter with a sleeve and lastly I would like to retain the existing cast iron piston. If sleeving what maximum diametre is it safe to bore on a Big Chief cylinder? Currently the diametre is 83 mm.

Juris

Comment

My vote is for the brazed repair. I think a preheat and slow cooldown would be required. Maybe someone here has some advice.
        Good luck!
        Steve

Comment

Working...
        X