47 chief oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 chief oil pump

Need some tips on a 47 chief oil pump. After a total engine rebuild I'm haveing a problem with wet sumping. After it sits for a few hours the feed & return lines start to seep oil at the fittings on the pump. I have not taken it apart yet but would like to know if there is anything i should look for beside the ball & seat. Also any good tips for repairing the ball & seat.

Thanks J.E.G.

Hi J,
    Did you take the bottom plate off of the pump. I did and it is scored up but on the supply side, not the return side. If it's scored you're likely not getting enough return pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by jeg View Post
      Need some tips on a 47 chief oil pump. After a total engine rebuild I'm haveing a problem with wet sumping. After it sits for a few hours the feed & return lines start to seep oil at the fittings on the pump. I have not taken it apart yet but would like to know if there is anything i should look for beside the ball & seat. Also any good tips for repairing the ball & seat.

Thanks J.E.G.
      No ball or seat in a 47 cast iron pump.Wet sumping is caused by sloppy clearance between plunger and its bore allowing oil to flow past and into the sump when sitting,requiring machine work to renew bore and or oversize plunger..Fitting leaks and wet sumping are different.
      Tom

Comment

Ivar at Kiwi rebuilt mine it is mint now. I didn't feel like I had enough knowledge to mess with mine.

Comment

As for lines I messed around with all sorts of ****- built lines from old parts, modified un-authorized nuts, etc. the best fix is new.

Comment

Working...
          X