Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powder coat or paint

What should I do powder coat my 47 frame or paint it. I have not
    had good luck with frame paint in the past. But for this maybe i better get some advice from you pro's.
    Thanks
    Creep

I've always thought a powdercoated frame looked like porcelain, or some kind of pottery thing. Some people like that look but it sure isn't original or authentic looking. To each his own, however.

Comment

I'm not a pro, but I think powdercoated frames on classic machines look out of place. I would paint.

Comment

well here I go ! I think if done rite,PC looks just fine and will hold up great,but a well done paint job will look as good so i guess its what YOU want,as far as points ask the pros !!!

Comment

There might be one other factor in the paint v. powdercoat......

Do you plan to ride it, or show it?

Comment

Paint it. If you want a new bike, sell me the '47 and go buy a new one.

Comment

I would go with paint I have had 2 frames powder coated it was cheaper at the time. But overall I think paint looks better also easyer to touch up if it gets dinged or scratched

Comment

Paint is fine with me. That said, the newer versions of powdercoating, done RIGHT, are amazing, and look right, and great. The old stuff looked like something dipped in plastikote, but if you still think powder coat looks that way, you need to get up to speed. It is nice to have a choice. Do what you feel is best for YOUR bike. I do notice a lot of people just don't keep up on things, and have outdated knowledge, so I always take my time, and check around. I'm lucky, in that I don't know didley myself, so I am always open to new info. Some aren't.
                Mike

Comment

I recently purchased a 1948 frame and front end that was powder coated and I ended up spending $200. to have it sand blasted off. It was amazing the amount of flaws and "sins" that were covered up by the powder coating. One of the main problems I encountered was when the front end was powder coated and baked, the main tubes of the forks swelled and distorted. I ended up having a frame guy "cold press" the fork tubes back into shape. My vote is always for paint. You can never go wrong by keeping it original.

Comment

Quite a bit of the "painted" stuff that the Motor Company did back in the "OLD DAYS" was simply dipped in enamel paint and hung up to dry, runs, spots, etc. I know frames and shell assemblies ( seat pans) were done this way. I have done hundreds of seats and have never seen one that was primered before dipping. IMHO the paint jobs on the original factory bikes were not as good as the over restored bikes we see today. I never powder coat shell assemblies, I just do a factory correct paint job---PAQ

Comment

Working...
                    X