Compansator sproket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compansator sproket

Why did some models come with the compansator sproket and others with the plain motor sproket?

Wasn't the compensator sprocket part of the more expensive option groups?
    VPH-D

Comment

I'd like to say I know this answer...as I'm not at home with my small library of info that I commonly refer too. I have always had FLH models and have 3 now that all have the compensator Sprocket. My guess would be the added horsepower and torque of the FLH over the FL, I may be wrong as I often am and it may of been a option offered for smoother power transfer. Keep riding them, Merlin boy it's COLD around here :-( After getting home and looking up this info, I found on my original order form for 1956 H-D's that is was an accessory item offered in the Highway Cruiser group and the Deluxe group packages for $15. with exchange of the standard sprocket. So I guess it was available for FL models as well...? I always grease mine to ensure smooth power with a properly adjusted primary chain.

Comment

how can you tell the difference between these spockets. my 65 has the access port to grease it, but after removing the outer primary cover I don't see any grease fitting on the sprocket. any pictures of what this looks like. the service manual is no help and the parts manual isn't much better.

Comment

Magic, That would explain why ninty percent of police bike don;t have compansators. When dealers were bidding for those contracts they had to keep the price as low as possable. In 1956 $15 clams went a long way if you were trying to sell fifty bikes.
          As far as I know. 1964 was the last year of the grease fitting. Nothing else changed just that. It's real easy to drill and tap to make it like the old one if you want.

Comment

My 1965 which was the last year Primary cover with Compensator screw cover opening. The Sprocket when peeking through the grease port hole...all you would see is the grease fitting or if it's not there and the compensator sprocket is...all you would see is a close up flat area of the devise itself. Common were that the grease fitting was missing.... The compensator itself spins closely to the cover. I'm again not at home and on a 3 day work detail, So I cannot load a picture or say where to look for one. A compensator sprocket is a 2 piece large rounded finger splined, with a larger spring to hold it's load under the Tourqe of the big twin to ensure smoother power and release of power between the transmission and engine. They do work, saves on primary chain wear as well mount stress. I'll look up where to find one when I get a break. I need to get out and ride, Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Hey guys, For a picture of a compensator sprocket ...The Clymer H-D panheads service manual pages 203 & 216 the same show in detail the parts as used. Also the H-D parts catalog 1958-1968 has a picture on page 49 of the Clutch/Primary housng section along with the fixed sprocket as shown. Palmers seem to have more explanation than photo of that item on page 131 motor sprockets. I'm sure it's easy on the bearings as well as all connecting drive parts. It's a heavy addition to the already heavy Crankshaft/Flywheel of the Big Twin over the standard sprocket. Keep riding them... Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Working...
              X