Installing main circuit breaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing main circuit breaker

My '68 FLH has no main circuit breaker that I can find. I would appreciate a description of installation. Do I come off the battery with a bar (?copper) or short wire, to a 30 amp breaker, and then hook up positive wires to other pole. Best way to secure?
    Those poles on a standard automotive breaker seem flimsy. What about in inline fuse? Where to get one? Thanks. Steve

After the holidays I'll check my freinds 68. I'm pretty sure they used a sealed circuit breaker with a pair of leads molded to it . I think it was mounted to the bottom of the battery tray. I will check to be sure ,although it will be mid Jan till I can do so.
    Brian

Comment

Hi Brian: Thanks. The bike is tucked in for the winter anyway. But will appreciate your help. I'll look under the box, but don't think it's there. Somebody told me in '68 they put two breakers under the dash. I even looked at a dash that seemed to have clips under there, but mine has no such thing. The manual doesn't show two, and the wiring diagram gives me no help in location, but then I might be too dumb to get it. Anyway, thanks, I'll hang in, unless anyone else wants to weigh in on this. Steve

Comment

Late 66's and 67's had the circuit breaker with the moulded in wires attached to the bottom of the battery tray. Most 65 and early 66's were updated as they were returned to the dealer for this as well as a relay for the starter circuit. The circuit breaker actually stuck up from the back of the battery box at the rounded curve of the oil bag. It's a tight fit in there but that's were it's supposed to go. I'm no absolute authority on these models or any other models, but I think the 68's were the first year for the cast dash cover and may have had breakers in the dash mounting plate as did the 70's models. There certainly is more room under the later dash.
        After reading what I wrote here, I see I haven't helped you much. Hell, just hang a breaker of the battery post.

Comment

I found a '68 wiring diagram that shows a circuit breaker between the battery and the voltage regulator. The breaker is molded plastic covered with two leads. I think they were red and black.
          The part number is 74586-65, but 74586-70 would work. If you're not too worried about looks, use 69999-77 bar and 74599-77 circuit breaker mounted to the battery.
          VPH-D

Comment

Thanks VPH: I will try to locate the breaker. I'm having a little trouble grasping the location between voltage regulator and battery. Can someone explain that one. Sorry to make this into a federal case but I'm trying to learn something here. Steve

Comment

I think the other members' mention of the battery tray location is correct. Good luck on the parts hunt, perhaps your local H-D dealer could perform a parts search for you.
              VPH-D

Comment

This isn't a definitive answer, but here is my 2 cents. While looking for the retro fit kit for my 65, I went round and round on this. I know from 73 on, the sealed breaker used a clip, that it snapped into. From 65 to 72, the only difference I could find is, on the 70 to 72, the sealed breaker used a mounting bar it was attached to, with two holes in the bar to be screwed or riveted to something. The bar had the two mounting holes on each end of the long side of the breaker. I think the battery tray is right. I also heard the rear fender. On the sealed breaker from 65 to 69, the mounting bar on the back of the breaker is at right angle to the length of the breaker, with the mounting holes top and bottom. I think 73 is when they went to the multiple breakers. Confused yet? I am. Until I could figure where to put it on my 65, I just hung it in there, because BAD things happen when you don't have one. I had the shoking handlebar wake up call on this one. They didn't retro fit the 65 with a starter relay and breaker for the heck of it.
                Mike

Comment

My freind has 2 68's , one of wich is completely original with only 20 some thousand miles on it. When I get up to his place after the new year , I'll check it out and report back.
                  Brian

Comment

Hey guys: Thanks for the interest. Brian, I look forward to your findings. Mike, the parts book agrees with your description. Yes, we're riding this bike on some bigger runs next year, and no way am I going without a breaker on there. Almost as bad as getting shocked or burning up your wires is worrying about it instead of having fun. Steve

Comment

Went to visit yesterday. The circuit breaker is mounted to the bottom of the battery tray with some small countersunk machine screws. the screws come down through from the battery side of the tray. It is a breaker with a mount bar attatched and 2 molded wires. It's location, if looking at the bikes right profile is toward the right rear corner, almost against the oil tank. Opposite the relay. The one he rides all the time I think has been updated using late parts in the stock location. You gotta be looking to see the critter in its natural habitat. Hope this helps.
                      Brian

Comment

Brian: Thank you VERY much. In the mean time I've made sense of the wiring, but still needed to know where to put it. I'll look closer to make sure one isn't already there, but I don't think so.
                        Again, I appreciate the fact that you kept me in mind. Steve

Comment

The original battery box may have rotted out years ago and been replaced with a later one, so it might not even have the mounting holes. I've seen a lot of bikes where someone replaced the breaker after it went bad with an inline fuse from the auto parts store. Make sure you look real good for one of these, I've seen people hide them in some strange places. As long as everything is working OK thats not a problem, but fuses never reset. This can be a major headache out on the road. most of the times I've been sitting on the shoulder, kicking dust at my non-functioning junk, it's been electrical in nature. so check your wiring good and if it looks questionable, replace it. Have fun
                          Brian

Comment

Came across Service Bulletin 532 while ruitering around in my friend Danny's literature collection. Full sized scan has been added to my website ... Perry
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Ruiter View Post
                              Came across Service Bulletin 532 while ruitering around in my friend Danny's literature collection. Full sized scan has been added to my website ... Perry
                              And the link to your website is???
                              Be sure to visit;
                              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                              X