Generator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator question

I'm rebuilding an old Model 58 generator, and the fabric on the field coils is deteriorating. Palmer's book says to wrap the coils with fiberglass or white cloth tape, then dip in varnish. Is this type of tape readily available? Also, should I peel off the old cloth before wrapping, I am reading that clearance can be a problem? And just what the heck kind of varnish do I dip these in? Another thing, the insulation on the wires doesn't look too hot either, any ideas on how to correct this? This is all new stuff to me, so I'm basically jumping in head-first...

Frankly, for something like the model 58 where replacement field coils are readily available you're probably further ahead to just buy new ones rather than try to salvage what you have ... Perry

Comment

Yeah, I've had the same thoughts myself. I was just trying to figure out if I could get this thing going cheaply, as I got it as a box of parts, and I'm still missing some of the pieces-parts, like the brush holder. I'm trying not to end up sinking a bunch of money into this thing...

Comment

Working...
      X