Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• excelsior 74"

hi

can anyone tell me if thre is any proof of existence of 74" big X except shebler list?

especially existing bike?

what was differences?
    flywheels? pistons? barrels?

thanks Marcin

I do not know Marcin but probably not as their 61 incher was more than a match for the oppositions 74's !!!! and anyway the company was also producing the Henderson and didn't want to compete with them , Ken
    Ken

Comment

There was a 74" Big X owned by a collector in Texas. I can't remember the man's name but our former editor, Charlie Carter would know. This is going back quite a few years but the bike was well known by Excelsior nuts. The 74" was introduced in 1921, obviously in answer to Harley Davidson's 74". According to Ted Hodgdon, (AMCA founder) the 20 series Excelsior was never sold in large numbers and was scarce even in it's day. He told a story of going to an Excelsior dealer in 1919 wanting to see a big blue X. The dealer didn't have one and had no intention of stocking one but was willing to order one. The new (Excelsior made) Henderson was a great seller and that was the motorcycle the dealers wanted to stock and sell. As for the engine particulars, I don't know how they made a 74" engine, but I would suspect it was done changing the crankpin location, and making a longer cylinder or using stroker plates. I looked at my parts books that go up to 1924 for the series 20 X and there is no mention of the 74". Considering how dismal the sales were for the 61" X, it's possible it was discontinued early in life and Excelsior didn't want to stock parts for a 74".
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
      X