Super X Magnetos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super X Magnetos

Did the Super X run Bosch magnetos? if so what models.

sx mags

Early Iron,all of the supers i've seen ,and my own(26)use the model S Splitdorf.Crabb

Comment

Yes I know that they ran model S Splitdorfs, but I was told that they may have fit Bosch ZEV mags. to the export models, have you ever heard any thing about this?

Comment

sx mags

indeed,i dug out a copy of an old article(about'28)that states clearly"Robert Bosch magneto for Super Sport",as opposed to the listing for the splitdorf as applied to the regular Super.It has also been suggested elsewhere that some american makes shipped overseas(Europe)were meant to be fitted with bosch mags on arrival,,saving on costs,presumably.Crabb

Comment

Thanks Crabb, Thats what I was looking for, I'm trying to finish a '27 and need a Mag. The S2s are hard to find and I was thinking a Bosch might be easyer to find.

Comment

Hi Guys
            can anyone tell me where to get 45 deg cam for splitdorf S magneto?

marcin

Comment

sx mags

hey mark,not wishing to drift to far from the subject,but,there has always been some confusion about the serialing of the sx's,whether the numbers ran continously through production or if the first number matched it to the year(1xxx=1925,2xxx=26.etc.)i've always called mine a26 because thats what it seemed to most closely resemble from available information and the parts that came on it though its number is 33xx-not much distinguishes the 26,27,least not in the condition we are inclined to find them,so this becomes an important issue.any thoughts?where does your number come in?Crabb

Comment

Hi Crabb, This Super X starts with #46xx which puts it into the '27 production, but it's titled as a '28. Now that my be how it was done back then, all '27 production were sold as '28s or maybe this bike sat in the showroom until '28 when it was sold and titled for the year it was sold, all ststes did things dfferantly back then so who can tell, all I know is it looks more like an early '27 so that why I call it a '27.

Hi Marcin, have you tried Walker Machine in the US., or maybe Hecker in Germany.

Comment

Early Iron you got your answer on magnetos. The Bosch was used on some or all of the Super Sports. Also if you're not a purist on your 27, don't forget the later Super Xs came with the Bosch DVAR a combined magneto and generator. They're expensive but it saves you the cost of finding an equally expensive Splitdorf generator.

In terms of serial numbers, the Ballak serial number list seems as good as anything we have at this point for matching serial number to year ... Perry

Comment

Working...
                  X