1915 Harley Twin Gearcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1915 Harley Twin Gearcase

I need some help locating a replacement gearcase for a 1915 Harley Magneto twin that I'm piecing together. I have a gearcase but the boss for the oil pump gear stud is broken out as shown. I've also attached two more pics in the next posts to illustrate some of the characteristics of this 1915 cover. The cover I have may be repairable but the location of the repaired stud boss would have to be nearly perfect or the gears would run too tight or too loose.
    Attached Files

1915 Gearcase

In the pics above, the top cover is a 1916 gearcase and the lower one is the 1915 gearcase. As you can see in the pic in this post, they both share a common feature where they mount to the right crankcase. This surface has a raised ring that mated to an anular groove in the right crankcase. 1917 and later models have a step joint.
    Attached Files

Comment

1915 gearcase

The critical feature is shown in this pic. The area where the gearcase cover / oil pump mounts to the gearcase is raised by about an 1/8 of an inch above the face of the cover. I'm not sure if this gearcase was used on all 1915 models or just early ones, but the later gearcase has a 1916 factory number. Regardless, my 1915 motor number is rather low, so I feel that I would need this gearcase regardless.
      Thanks
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com
      Attached Files

Comment

1915 Gearcase

Mark;

You might check Fred Lange Restorations. Fred was kind enough to part with a 15 clutch assembly that I badly needed. If he does not have what you need he may know who does.
        As as a side note I have since found another 1915 clutch assembly that I do not need.
        Steve Klein 361.652.8300 cell
        Steve Klein
        Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
        American Pre-teens - 1965
        AMCA Member 12176
        Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
        www.CherokeeAMCA.org
        Steve@SteveKlein.com
        Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

Working...
        X