1968 FLH Chain Oiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 FLH Chain Oiler

Just a couple quick questions. I have a '68 FLH, new to me. I'm trying to make sense of the chain oiler. The bike has a new sealed rear chain.
    1. Would appreciate an explanation of the oiling of the rear chain. They changed it somehow after '65? What is the passage way?
    The manual is vague on this.
    2. Bike has a sealed rear chain, ok to run with oiler off, just keep chain lubed?

Thanks
    Steve

Steve,
    68 has the aluminum pump, correct? should be hex head adj. screw on cover at about 45 degrees with an 5/16 (approx.) nipple with a short jumper hose over to the crank case vent nipple. Closing off the screw will shut off the oil, but as the 3/8 hose is also the crankcase vent some oil from cumbustion vapor and such will still come out the end. You may wish to re-route the hose but don't block it off. I beleive the oil that is used for rear chain oil is bled off the return passage between the return pump and the nipple on the cover. It is then fed to the case vent. The air expelled from the crankcase on the pistons down stroke blows the oil out onto the chain. Makes quite a mess if I remember right. I've run too many miles to count with this deal shut off and a good quality chain lube. I usually put a K&N breather filter on the end of the breather hose after I cut it off and zip tie the thing to the frame rail right under the trans. Hope this helps.
    Brian

Comment

Brian: That certainly does help. Makes sense. Thanks alot. Steve

Comment

Working...
      X