RH 55 tail lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RH 55 tail lights

Does anyone know about this? I was told by an older Harley dealer that the RH 55 tail lamps used the slanted bulb mount inside. I have a NOS one that does, but I also have several that have the vertical ones. And does anyone know a way to change the two studs to attach it to the fender? I suppose i could just cut/grind them out, and use bolts, since once it is installed, you can't tell the difference, but I like things right. Darn it!
    Mike

Both the -55 and the -68 lamps mount the same way to the fender. There's no need to change mounting studs, as the two are interchangeable. The socket holder and lamp bodies are different between the two. So are the lenses, come to think of it.
    VPH-D

Comment

I believe my ca. '66 sidecar fender's taillamp has the vertical bulb mounting, for what that's worth.

...Cotten

Comment

How about the license plate lens? I have got a couple of the 68 lenses, by accident, and they are thicker than the earlier ones. At first I didn't even realize there were numbers on them. I bought one of them from one of our expert parts sellers, for a ridiculous price, (high), and then saw the 68 numbers on it later. Oh well....... Live and learn. Has anyone else noticed that this stuff is getting awful darn expensive, even for the later models? Sometimes I just feel like I am getting a game run on me. It is starting to get like those idiots and their "muscle cars" from the 60's. The stuff I am working on, 60's to early 70's are basically just old bikes. Nothing groundbreaking, or even very historic about these years of Harley's. In the same time period, the British, Italians, Japanese, and others were making some of the greatest bikes ever, that are still performers today. The Panhead still feels great to me though, and I just enjoy it for what it is.
        Mike

Comment

As far as changing the studs, i meant replace them. Both of them are sawed off. I did get the bolts out, by carefully cutting the bent tabs off. I wonder if one can still get those special bolts? I think it was 1973 when they really changed the tail light, to the big plastic lens type, and they mount differently too.
          Mike

Comment

The early taillamp was last used on the early 73 models. The lamp bodies are clearly marked as to which flavor they are, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a replacement. Both lenses are model specific, but do interchange. The mount studs were not available from H-D.
            VPH-D

Comment

Thanks for the info. It is too bad that there are a lot of people out there selling tyhe later lenses, and saying "for RH-55 tail lights". Another trick you have to watch out for is "fits 58 -72". The parts might fit, but they ain't right for some of the years. Some Harley parts will fit other bikes, too, but that doesn't make them right for those bikes, anymore than a Honda switch that will "fit" a Sportster. I would still like to know about the slanted bulb holder info for the RH-55.
              Mike

Comment

The -55 bulb holder is angled from 11 o'clock down towards 5 o'clock. The bulb is at the lower right end. The -68 body and bulb holder are different, and don't interchange.
                VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                X